New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil additives questions. Patman, hopefully you will see this!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil additives questions. Patman, hopefully you will see this!!

I was just wondering about any info / opinions any of you guys have about the following oil additives: Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and Engine Restore. My 98 Z28 has 47000 miles, and I saw some good things about the engine restore additive about restoring lost compression on mid to high mileage engines such as mine. Does it actually work? Ever since I added it, my oil pressure seems to be about 2-5 psi less at all rpm's than it used to be (25ish at idle, and low cruising, 35ish at higher cruising) Is this a problem? My questions about Lucas Oil Stabilizer is how much do I add to my oil? Do I only add it when I change oil, or can I put it in my oil now? I have used Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner,and that seems to work real well. Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Also I plan to change my oil in about a week or two, basically as soon as I finish making custom ramps out of 2 X 12's. I plan to use Mobil 1 or Castrol (I forget who makes it) 0w40 super syn. Will this oil choice affect the performance of the additives? Will an oil filter affect the performance of the additives? and if so, then what brand of filter do you guys reccomend.

Thanks for all the good info in the past, Patman, and everyone else!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

i have never tried any of those addictives.....so i dont know much about em...but i know that 0w-40 is mobil-1
Old 07-02-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldnt use any additives to the mobil 1. It has additives already in it.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those additives really are not a good idea to use, the only additive I trust in the oil is a product called Auto-rx, as it uses natural esters to slowly clean out the inside of your engine, and can restore lost compression if the rings are carboned up for instance. But there is no miracle cure if an engine is badly worn. Auto-rx works at cleaning dirty engines, but no product can give you back the engine material which is worn away on a very tired old motor. So Restore is not the miracle product it claims to be. Lucas oil stabilizer is nothing but thickening polymers which turn your oil into a heavy goo. Not a good idea to use it either. The Lucas injector cleaner is good stuff though.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't use oil additives. period. like Patman said, there is no cure for a worn motor thats sold in a bottle.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Patman
Those additives really are not a good idea to use, the only additive I trust in the oil is a product called Auto-rx, as it uses natural esters to slowly clean out the inside of your engine, and can restore lost compression if the rings are carboned up for instance. But there is no miracle cure if an engine is badly worn. Auto-rx works at cleaning dirty engines, but no product can give you back the engine material which is worn away on a very tired old motor. So Restore is not the miracle product it claims to be. Lucas oil stabilizer is nothing but thickening polymers which turn your oil into a heavy goo. Not a good idea to use it either. The Lucas injector cleaner is good stuff though.
Sorry Patman, theres another thread on here called 'noise' and I asked if you had any thought on lucas oil stabilizer before I saw this thread, now I know what you think. Thanks for the input
Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TX_SS
i have never tried any of those addictives.....so i dont know much about em...but i know that 0w-40 is mobil-1
Have you ever tried the german made castrol syntec? It's seem to really be good stuff, 0-30w if I remember. Are you the Texan SS, that posts on the COFBA board?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

My vote goes for Mobil 0W40 Syn. In a 3K period running the crap out of it, 20+ passes at the strip and normal street driving, I have 0 oil consumption on my 02 SS. 45 psi at idle, 65 at normal cruise, 70+ at WOT.