Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do, cam bearing has deep scratch NEW shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do, cam bearing has deep scratch NEW shortblock

I just got my forged shortblock from a REPUTABLE or so I thought engine builder, opened it up and the front cam bearing has DEEP gouges in it, I can run my finger across it and it will stop a finger nail.

Just put the cam in?

they are line honed, they have the normal crosshatch marks, but the front bearing has these deep scrapes.

sending it back is not an option. there are no ls1 engine builders within 7 hours of me
Old 07-02-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to a reputable local shop that has been around for awhile, find the guy that has been there the longest, and have him slap in a new bearing. I wouldn't even THINK about running a new motor with something like that going on with it. It would be a whole lot less expensive to nip any potential problems in the bud. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:10 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

The best option is to replace the front cam bearing. Zo6killer is correct, it's alot cheaper to fix it now than to fix it latter. Finding someone to install a cam bearing should be easy. If you need a set of bearings give me a call I should have them in stock
Old 07-02-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replacing the bearing is a good plan. But if you must evaluate whether a cut bearing will be "usable", if the scratch goes fore and aft, big risk. If it goes around the circumference (like a equator line on a globe), it usually wont cause a problem. Matter of fact, many bearings have a factory groove in the circumference.

Quick Reply: what to do, cam bearing has deep scratch NEW shortblock