Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise.... solved!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise.... solved!

Well, I finally solved a problem that has been plaguing my car (Firebird Formula) for a while... the clicking noise that came from the rear of the car. I did not post anything about it, but I did alot of searching around this board. After narrowing it down to probably the rear axle, I took it to the dealer.

They told me it was two nails I had in my tire, which they took out and then patched the holes. Driving back from the dealer, the clicking noise was still there. Later that night, I took it to a friends house to have his neighbor look over it. After listening while I drove around, we jacked it up and took a look. We sure did find the problem... it was not the rotor, not an exhaust leak, not the rear axle. It was the wheel. The inside chrome plating was rusted, and peeling off, which would hit the caliper, or something, each rotation of the wheel, making that damn clicking noise. I ripped the main piece off, which fixed most of the noise.

I am, sometime, going to go in there, sand all the rusted things down, and paint it with some paint to keep it from coming off and rusting again when I get a chance. I wanted to share this because I have probably saved a ton of money by not going back and forth between the dealer, and would like to help others who might be having the same problems. Also, what would you recommend me do? Is my solution the right one? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Why is your wheel rusting? It should be aluminum. Wheels are pretty cheap, maybe just pick up a used set from someone else.

Pretty interesting find however, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem on my formula. I just ripped off the flaking pieces and no more clicking.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kind of like putting a baseball card in your tire spokes of your bike back in the younger days, eh.
Dan