Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mod money?

Where the **** are all these kids getting all this money for mods? Every time you turn around some 16 year old has a F body, Cobra, or even an import and is loading it up with mods. I know it is usually mommy and daddy but it is starting to **** me off. Wheres the pride in knowing you did it all yourself?
Old 07-03-2004, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Where the **** are all these kids getting all this money for mods? Every time you turn around some 16 year old has a F body, Cobra, or even an import and is loading it up with mods. I know it is usually mommy and daddy but it is starting to **** me off. Wheres the pride in knowing you did it all yourself?
I'm seventeen and making payments for my 2000 trans am. Yeah, its used, and yeah, it has its share of problems, but I love the car a more than most things, and I work and pay for it myself. I also am in highschool -- first in my class, and take college classes -- with a 4.0 gpa. Some of us kids work our *** off just as hard as you adults for our beloved cars. But I can see where your coming from, respectfully.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexMax
Some of us kids work our *** off just as hard as you adults for our beloved cars.
That is so true!! I finaly got my 2002 TA when i was 18, but wanted when i was 16 i wanted a firebird. Bascily parensts said no , but if you work hard by your senior year in high school you could have one . Well i worked my *** off and regret it a little because i missed a ton of parties, but looking out in the driveway is my dream car, and i earned every bit of it , but still have payments for another year

Thats my story if anyone cares, but back to the quesion, yeah sometimes i dont understand it either, but thats what some parents do......i guess
Old 07-03-2004, 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah; it's especially satisfying to see your hard work pay off when you're young becuase you really don't have anything to your name. Just having the feeling that that beautiful, speedy car out in the driveway is your sanctuary, and that nobody can take it away from you because you earned it, man it really feels good.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im 17 and paying for my 99 t/a. young adults can work hard too
Old 07-03-2004, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm 19, making a 335 dollar monthly payment on my '01 Z28, paying my own rent, working full time, and going to school (college) all at the same time. I pay my insurance, gas, mods, etc. I'm saving up right now so this winter I can get new rims/tires, another new nitrous kit, and a crap load of suspension parts. I don't ask my mommy and daddy for anything. All they did was co-sign the loan for me, but I later found out I could have gotten the loan on my own

Times have changed, and not ALL people under 21 are helpless leaches
Old 07-03-2004, 04:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I always hated when people bitched b/c kids had LS1's. What is their problem??? Does everybody have to be as hard off as the next guy or what?? I got mine three years ago just before I turned 18. Worked my *** off for two years saving money and doing well enough in school and it was a steal at $4,000 after the trade in of my Ford Taurus (god, I got a GREAT deal on that car and the trade in, i should NOT have been able to afford an LS1!.....the taurus was one of those with all the oval **** going on that my parents hadned down to me) I continued to work my *** off on LONG days going to school, track/cross country, and work at night. Insurance is a great bit cheaper when you are on your parents policy, though Also imports, V6's, or older cars (5.0....) are all that I see 16 year olds driving. Now, high school kids who are 17-18 or are about to/have just graduated might have something but not many 16 year olds. They'd all kill themselves!!!!

Look at it this way, if a kid or younger adult makes enough money to buy mods, think about how many hours they spent for that money vs how many hours you spent for that money! Younger people have to work a lot longer and sacrafice a lot more of their income to do the same thing. I spend fully half my income on my car! At least! Of course, when you are still in college and supported by your parents (with mine it was basically a given that after high school i'd go to college and they'd pay for it, so long as it was in state or with scholorship, etc so as not to be a ripoff) okay, i'll stop

Oh, and BTW, i sitll work at the same shithole i did in highschool, still work my *** off, and as you will notice it is like 5:00 am.......I just left work at 4am. Why am i working through all F-ing hours of the night??? My car!!! One and only reason, i NEED the money to keep afloat and do waht i want to it (slowly, but surely) and they pay more for night people!

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 07-03-2004 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:27 AM
TECH Resident

Don't be hating! I wish my parents had that kind of money. Unfortunately, I had to work for my ****. It's all good. If I can afford it, I will hook my kids up with a nice ride.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

to each their own....i went to HS with a bunch of spoiled bitches whose parents bought everything for them. the best thing my parents ever did for me was teach me the value of hard work and saving for things you want in the future and making me buy everything i needed/wanted(cars, insurance, food, college) i will NEVER give my kids(none yet, knock on wood, lol) a car because 1. they will take care of/appreciate it more when they get one as a result of their own hard work 2. believe it or not, yes, it does build character 3.forces them to prioritize their time and money and learn that hard work is the means for attaining one's goals in life....just my .02
Old 07-03-2004, 11:28 AM
14 Second Truck Club

My Son(19) has a 97 Cobra. The car, ins., mods, gas, tow bills(ford), tickets. Bought and paid for by HIM.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by goldlifter
to each their own....i went to HS with a bunch of spoiled bitches whose parents bought everything for them. the best thing my parents ever did for me was teach me the value of hard work and saving for things you want in the future and making me buy everything i needed/wanted(cars, insurance, food, college) i will NEVER give my kids(none yet, knock on wood, lol) a car because 1. they will take care of/appreciate it more when they get one as a result of their own hard work 2. believe it or not, yes, it does build character 3.forces them to prioritize their time and money and learn that hard work is the means for attaining one's goals in life....just my .02
That's how it should be done! There is nothing wrong with a 17-18 year old with a nice car and mods when they've busted their asses to get it. Unfortunately they are the exception not the rule. Most the younger guys on this site probably did pay for their own since if you are on this site you actually care about your car and the knowledge and experience from this site. I'm refering to the asses who don't pay for a thing and act like they are the **** when they probably couldn't tell you what is even in their car. Since it was probably dropped off at a shop by dad to have it fixed up. If you worked for your car then that is something to be proud of. I wish there were more out there. I was in the same boat. I paid for mine out of high school but I still got pissed when Biff and Buffy would go flying by in their new Jag not knowing how to appreciate a fine automobile! If you pay for your own **** I commend you, if you don't I hope your tranny falls out!
Old 07-03-2004, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

I will say this, however. Even though I am paying for mine through hard work, if my father had offered to give it to me, I would have accepted it in a split second and been proud of it. There are people who are simply more fortunate than others, but who ALSO care about the nice things they have enough to take care of them.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Launching!

i got my first 2 camaros for free, 1 was a hand me down, 2nd was a graduation present from high school, hehe, thirds was all me and insurance paying for it cause of accident that wasnt my fault so old car was totalled, after that, i bought my current car, loaned 10k, paid the rest at the time. and like everyone said, lookin in the garage and seeing the car your spending all your money on makes you feel good inside knowing, that is YOUR car and no one elses, all paid for and taken care of by you and you alone, as it should be. i dont regret using all my money on a car as opposed to you know, gettin out of my parents house, but i feel that a nice fast car is one of the best things in life hands down. and it always will be.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

I have no problem with the parents giving their kids a car, what I do think is worng is giving a 17~19 year old kid a car with the power of a ls1, cobra, evo, wrx, etc, that they will more than likely wrap around a tree or put in a ditch. I have yet to meet a 17~19 year old kid responsible enough to have a car with that kind of power, including when I was that young. Luckily i built my honda up from a slow piece of crap into a 13 sec ride, and respected the power once I got it. If i would have had my camaro back then I would probably be dead, or in a wheelchair.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

I can agree that many teens are not responsible enough for a fast car. However, some mature faster than others, and there are plenty of us that can responsibly handle a car with an ls1. Yeah, I feed my car its share of speed, but I know where the road turns, and if I don't, I make sure I'm ready for it. It's all in the mindset of the driver. Some of us teens are actually cautious where we should be, and know the dangers of speed and do everything yall adults do to avoid them. It's a case by case kinda thing. On the other hand, I know many adults who shouldn't own cars like ours, lol. Yeah, you all know the kind I'm talking about.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjacks7
I have yet to meet a 17~19 year old kid responsible enough to have a car with that kind of power
Hello there. I got my car at the age of 17 as a junior in high school. I will be a 21 year old college junior this September. My car has not been run into anything.........though I have been minorly-moderately rear ended TWICE. I know plenty of 20~24 year olds not responsible enough to have a 12-13 sec car too, BTW.

PS: I also have yet to recieve a ticket.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
22yo, full time college student, makes about $17k a year, living on my own with bills out the *** (rent, electric, water, truck payment, insurance, food, internet, etc.), but I still manage to put away $350-$500 a month for my LS1.... how?

I've started selling supplies to a niche market- some days I'll make $20 for about 7 hours of busting my ***, other days I'll bring in about $300 for 4 hours of pretty much sitting on my ***- it's flexable enough that I can do it around my work and school schedules.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

sick of hearing old farts whine cause they were too poor too afford one when they were a kid **** off dont worry about other people and their money worry about ur own im 16 parents bought me 2002 ls1 camaro..........love the damn thing. too all the haters u can kiss my ***
Old 07-03-2004, 08:22 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

my folks bought me my first car at 16, a 87 z28. was i ready for it? probably not. i crashed it a few times doin stupid ****. my dad bought it for me cause he said his dad bought him his first car. will i buy my son/daughter there first car. probably, but there on there own after that by the way im 31 now
Old 07-03-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAMAROonROIDS
sick of hearing old farts whine cause they were too poor too afford one when they were a kid **** off dont worry about other people and their money worry about ur own im 16 parents bought me 2002 ls1 camaro..........love the damn thing. too all the haters u can kiss my ***

if you pay for **** yoursleves then who cares what other people say or think, im 21 have a 40,000 a year job, drive a modded 03 silverado, have a 12 second 1988 5.0. im sure people think i have everything handed to me also. young people can work hard for their things, but when i was in school there was too many kids with cool cars, that didnt work, mommy and daddy paid for everything, and that **** pisses me off too