Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harlanf Sharp 1.8 RR are junk!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harlanf Sharp 1.8 RR are junk!

Just to let everyone know that doesn't already, the Harland Sharp 1.8 RR hit the heads when they move through the motion. I have had to clearance my RR just so they don't hit the heads. I have photos of this happening and the shavings left afterward. I was told by Nate (nasty performance) that I would have to clearance the valve covers before they ever got here so I expected that. I cut on the valve covers, broke through a couple times, no big deal, JB weld took care of that. But, after I cranked the engine a few times with the valve covers on I pulled the valve covers back off "just to make sure" and I see shavings all over the rockers! Thats just bull ****! I bought these new and recieved nothing with the rockers that said I might have to "clearance the rockers" themselves, I appreciate Nate telling me ahead of time that I needed to clearance the covers (thanks Nate), I have no problem with Nasty, just Harland Sharp! I've done a lot of performance work on engines but never had an issue like this with something that is supposed to work with no modification when I bought it. Just had to vent!
Scott
I don't know how to post the pics otherwise I would!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

PS, the cam only has .558 lift, yes I know that now it's .590. Just thought everyone might want to know that also!
Scott
Old 07-03-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HS were never "perfect" on 98s. The 1.8s went on my '99 with no problem.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Now ya tell me
Scott
Old 07-03-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does failure to clearance the rockers make them junk?

Any aftermarket part like this should be checked for all clearances regardless if they're supposed to fit w/out issue. It comes with the territory with any of these type of modifications. Even "supposed" to fit aftermarket cranks require unexpected clearancing that is picked up on pre-assembly.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

You are correct, aftermarket parts need to be verified for fitment, but this was obvious error! Obvious because if they (HS) actually checked them on the heads there is no way they could think they would fit correctly without the customer having to grind on their product to make them work. Obviously there's nothing you will say to make me feel better toward thier poor quality. I will not every buy their product again and thought a few others might like to know that theres a chance they will buy these things and possibly have problems. Better yet, don't buy their products! BTW, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with "other" companies roller rockers!
Scott

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL

Any aftermarket part like this should be checked for all clearances regardless if they're supposed to fit w/out issue. It comes with the territory with any of these type of modifications. Even "supposed" to fit aftermarket cranks require unexpected clearancing that is picked up on pre-assembly.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfee
You are correct, aftermarket parts need to be verified for fitment, but this was obvious error! Obvious because if they (HS) actually checked them on the heads there is no way they could think they would fit correctly without the customer having to grind on their product to make them work. Obviously there's nothing you will say to make me feel better toward thier poor quality. I will not every buy their product again and thought a few others might like to know that theres a chance they will buy these things and possibly have problems. Better yet, don't buy their products! BTW, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with "other" companies roller rockers!
Scott
i've yet to see a rocker setup be completely perfect. there've been issues one way or another with YT's, HS, pro magnums, jesels, ect. its all part of the aftermarket game, one setup might be fine on your car but have issues on your buddies car. stick with the factory rockers if you dont want to have anything to complain about (besides spilled needle bearings).
Old 07-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Banned

Harland just needs to put 1999+ on those rockers, they just dont fit 98 heads well
Old 07-04-2004, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry jrp, I guess I didn't realize that since I was installing aftermarket parts I have to lower my expectations out of the companies I buy from!? Thanks C4vetteLS1, I simply wish I new that they didn't fit 98's sooner, I wouldn't have bought them. I have them now and and after clearancing they seem to work fine, so hopefully I can get to the track sometime soon and see what all the new upgrades are worth.
Scott
Old 07-04-2004, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Every head casting is a little different that is the first I have heard of any clearance issues. I have sold and installed about 100 sets and plenty on the 98 cars and the only clearancing I have done is to the valve covers. I am sorry for the problems but your car is just slightly different than most. With that lift cam and 1.8 rockers you had better have some great springs in there to keep it from float. You are pushing the P/V clearance.

Nate
Old 07-04-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well Wolfee has the right to be upset. Same was with Comp shaft rockers. "Fits under stock valve covers" they said. Yeah right, which ones?? C5R !!!
R&D should include different castings and products be labeled as such.

On the other hand, no aftermarket parts should be taken for granted to "fit" and all clearances should be cheked IMO
Old 07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

On the other hand, no aftermarket parts should be taken for granted to "fit" and all clearances should be cheked IMO
Exactly.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Every head casting is a little different that is the first I have heard of any clearance issues. I have sold and installed about 100 sets and plenty on the 98 cars and the only clearancing I have done is to the valve covers. I am sorry for the problems but your car is just slightly different than most. With that lift cam and 1.8 rockers you had better have some great springs in there to keep it from float. You are pushing the P/V clearance.

Nate
Yep, it's not going to be the heads as they are machined to exact tolerences. It will be the valve covers as they are just simple unmachined castings.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL

Exactly as they probably clear the stock retainers and springs fine. R u talking about them rubbing the retainers or the actual heads in the back. I agree they "should" fit back there but welcome to the world of high performance! I've had to clearance a LOT of rockers there too. The LS1 has very little room for anything under the covers unfortunately. If you have bigger springs as far as diameter they will always hit the retainers on most of these too unless you clearance them.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

I also had to clearance my Jesel's from hitting the retainer with the my larger diameter springs, its not a big deal just need to look for stuff like that when you are assembly, just because it goes together with bolts doesn't mean its just "bolt-on and go" IT's not HS's fault every car has some variance one way or another no matter what parts you are buying. Thats the first complaint i have heard with HS. I got some friends that swear by HS on their SBC's
Old 07-05-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

It's funny how things get twisted from the valve covers to, now it's the springs hitting The problem is not the springs, it's not the valve covers, like I said before, Nate told me that the covers will need to be clearanced, no big deal! The rockers are hitting the actual head casting, could someone please post some pictures for me, tell me where to send them. It's also funny that we as an aftermarket comunity consumers have been "trained" to expect aftermarket parts to not work as they were designed, and yes, someone actually gets paid in most cases to make sure the parts work correctly and have a little extra clearence to accept variations from the OEM manufacturer. And I HAVE been around aftermarket performance engines for quite sometime. In the circle track series I'm a owner/driver in I have even built a few of my own BGN motors, as we have the same rules (old 9.1 390 carb style). Talk about issues, you have to check EVERYTHING on those engines, but I expect it from those engines, not the simple bolt-ons that I buy from my semi-stock street driver! At this point the subject has kind of been beat to death, rip me if you want but I expect a part to fit when I buy it.
Wolfee
Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Wolfee,

Every thing you say is true and it is ridiculous that this stuff never seems to be right out of the box. I don't know if they don't actuall try many heads but they are NOT doing their research!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Yella Terras I bought didn't even come close to fitting on my 98 so I sold them. "No cleareance issues" is what the ad said. That made me angry.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Wolfee, I have installed these on 97/98 heads and it is true, you have to grind a huge amount off the rockers and covers to make them fit. It was a prototype setwe had last year from LS1 Source we put on Brians car. I even think they might have been 1.9's, I'll have to look in the folder. Definitly use these on 99 and up heads!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wolfee, to post up pictures, when you post a message, look under the "Submit Reply, Preview Post" buttons, in the "Addition Options" area. There should be a button that says "Manage Attachments". Click that, and you can attach files. They won't show up as pictures in the post, but as links to photos hosted on LS1Tech. When they click on the link, the photo will show up. What you'll be doing is uploading your photos to the LS1Tech webserver to be hosted. Hope that helps. PM if you need any help with this.

Quick Reply: Harlanf Sharp 1.8 RR are junk!