Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block O-rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block O-rings

I've got a used LT1 Stroker block that will be going to the machine shop next week. The block was used in a blower application and has o-rings installed. I'm planning on hitting it with a 250 shot of N20. Do I need these O-rings or can I have them removed some way. I can't believe that the grooves could be removed with a decking operation because too much material would have to be removed. I'm fine with running the o-rings as long as I don't have to use a copper head gasket, which I hear are a major PITA for a street car, (leaking problems). I've also seen where some guys are running a composite gasket with o-ringed blocks. Will this work. Let me know cause I want to get the machine shop going on this project.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of Ls1's run Graphite gaskets with o-rings and they work great, I assume it would be the same for a Lt1, You could call TEA they seem to know alot about O-rings and Graphite gaskets im sure they could tell you for sure
Old 07-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks I'll give them a call on Tuesday.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Just fill the groove with the right wire and run the gasket... On dsm's the smart ones do that and run a stock OEM headgasket... even around 30psi....

Unlike MLS or copper gaskets you don't get those effn coolant passage and oil passage leaks...
Old 07-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
Just fill the groove with the right wire and run the gasket... On dsm's the smart ones do that and run a stock OEM headgasket... even around 30psi....

Unlike MLS or copper gaskets you don't get those effn coolant passage and oil passage leaks...
What is the right wire? Won't the wire "cut" a hole in the gasket when it's compressed? Should the wire in the groove be flush with the cylinder head deck? Sorry for all the questions, I just wan't to be sure and get this right.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Its copper wire. You can probably get it from isky... On 4g63 my machinist just supplied it for me.. The diameter will depend on how much of the groove is left..... IMHO I'd get the head side cut too...

Here is a ford guy who is doing the same thing..

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/sho...?threadid=7049