Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bent axle shaft - how safe??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent axle shaft - how safe??

It appears that I have a bent passenger side axle shaft on my 98 TA A4. When driving I get this "wuh wuh wuh" noise which increases with speed and is still there if coasting in neutral. Also it gets a little louder on left curves. When my mechanic put the car on axle stands with the car in Drive, the vibration can be felt through the axle tube and the wheel wobbles as if it is bent and the noise is there, only a different pitch because the wheels are off the ground. The front and rear wheels were swapped but the wobble is still there. The wheel bearings were replaced a few weeks ago in case it was them.

My question is how safe is it to drive on a bent shaft - will anything break or seize up? Also, when replacing, do I need to replace both or can I get away with one? Also, I've heard that 4th gens have a weak rear axle and that the axle tubes are prone to bending. When the shafts were out when the wheel bearings were being replaced they seemed to be straight enough.

Sorry this is so long winded but I would really appreciate any help or advice.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone??
Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't really heard of the tubes bending, they are strong enough to be used in the hybrid 8.8" Ford rear-end for our cars.

As far as a bent axle, if only one is bent, then only one needs to be replaced. It's not like light bulbs where when one goes bad the other isn't far behind.
I bought a set of used Moser upgraded axles for the 10-bolt for $100 one this forum as a replacement for my weak stock set...maybe you could do the same.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

i get that same sound, i thought it was wheel bearings, my car is going in on friday, so i'll have him check out the axles

Quick Reply: Bent axle shaft - how safe??