Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Easier way to set pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Easier way to set pinion angle

I've read several threads on the correct way to properly set the pinion angle when using an adjustable torque arm. Since it's kind of a pain to pull the driveshaft to measure the tranny angle first, I thought I would post an easier way that I recently discovered. Maybe some of you already do it this way.

Here's what I did. I jacked the car up by the rear diff. with my angle finder on the front of the pass. side cylinder head. I jacked the car up a little bit at a time until it was at 0 degrees. Now the centerline of the engine / trans is exactly level. I double checked the angle on the bottom of the trans cross member AND on the end of the trans (with the driveshaft out) to verify that it was indeed at 0 degrees.

Then I put the angle finder on the rear pinion yoke and set it to -3.5 degrees (pointing down). Done deal.

Now, if I ever need to make changes, or check the angle, I can just reset the car to 0 degrees off the front of the cylinder head or bottom of trans cross member and don't have to pull the DS out. This is alot easier to get an accurate angle reading too since there is a larger surface to set the angle finder on.

Hope that makes it easier on some of you.....