Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found some metal shavings in my oil today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Found some metal shavings in my oil today.

Last week I had a fuel solenoid stick shut on me and this is more than likly related. I've been worried that I hurt the motor but I havn't had the time to do a compresion check yet. I've been driving the car hard every chance I get for the past 200 miles or so. The car is not down on power, does not smoke, has not used any oil. I checked the oil again this afternoon and found shinny little specs of metal suspended in the oil (they kinda look like the specs you would find on a spark plug pulled out of a detonating car). My best guess would be from the bearings but that would not be related to the car going super lean would it? The car only has 16,000 miles on it and only 3 oil changes, could the bearings still be wearing alittle or do I have a major problem hear? Anyone want to take a guess?

BTW: The oil pressure is totally normal under all situations. I get no knocking or tapping when the car is warm either. I also pulled the hose off the valve cover and it wouldn't spit any oil, no smoke out of the fill cap either.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car went major lean then I would be more worried about head gaskets or cracking the ring landings or something like that. It won't normally ruin the crank or bearings directly from it going lean. Too many other weak spots to go first. I know my both my trucks still leave deposits on the drain plug one of which has about 110k on it and runs just as good as new still. If it seems to run fine I would just continue to drive it but keeping an eye on it like you are now. Leakdown might be worth looking into but if the PCM hasn't flipped out about a supposed misfire on a cylinder then I doubt that a cylinder is way down on compression anywhere.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

will a magnet pick them up? have you cut a filter open?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Depends what the material is for the magnent to pick it up. The filter has picked it all up so I'll probrably change the oil this afternoon and cut the filter open.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=GM Muscle]Depends what the material is for the magnent to pick it up.

Right thats why I asked that way you might have a better idea what it is