PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total newbie quesiton for "what product do I need"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 04:06 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Total newbie quesiton for "what product do I need"...

I have a 2000 Camaro, 382 stroker, nitrous, blah blah blah. I Have two 02 sensors, the rears have been tuned out. I would like to merely monitor my runs with my laptop to make sure I an not getting knock retard, check my A/F ratio per my 02 sensors, and stuff like that when I am running my nitrous (150-250 shot). Car was tuned by Greg Banish at Livernois Motorsports and I have NO inclination to try to make adjustments, JUST MONITOR stuff...

what product do I need that is cost effective, simple, and will do the job? I have a new 2.8 gig laptop, all the fancy stuff so I imagine it will run about any car software.
Thanks

SDB
Old 07-07-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

greg does GMs now? I know he did fords when I was in that crowd. Id just get hp tuners, its more then what you need it seems but its awesome and fairly cheap.

Dave
Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
greg does GMs now? I know he did fords when I was in that crowd. Id just get hp tuners, its more then what you need it seems but its awesome and fairly cheap.

Dave
Thanks, what is HP Tuners and where can I get one?

SDB
Old 07-07-2004, 05:53 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

I was doing some checking , and the HP Tuner is $500, and the Autotap is $200...would the autotao allow me to look at what I noted above? I dont want to do ANY changes to the car, just look at how it is doing durring a run. Thanks again

SDB
Old 07-07-2004, 06:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our product (HP Tuners) includes scan tool software so there would be no need to purchase a 3rd party product. For $500 you get the editor AND scan tool all in one nice package.

- Keith, HP Tuners.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Lightbulb

Yep, Dave... been doing them for quite some time now. Remember when Dave Inall (Incon) was talking about starting to put turbos on an LS1 years ago? That's when I really got interested...

...but to digress back to the question, Scott. All you really need is a basic copy of Autotap if you just want to monitor a handful of key parameters (Timing, KR, Airflow, RPM). EFILive also works really well with a faster sampling rate if you're into having more capabilities. Your budget shouldn't have trouble with either option.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:26 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbolx
Yep, Dave... been doing them for quite some time now. Remember when Dave Inall (Incon) was talking about starting to put turbos on an LS1 years ago? That's when I really got interested...

...but to digress back to the question, Scott. All you really need is a basic copy of Autotap if you just want to monitor a handful of key parameters (Timing, KR, Airflow, RPM). EFILive also works really well with a faster sampling rate if you're into having more capabilities. Your budget shouldn't have trouble with either option.
I was thinking that myself...Autotap is enough for me...If I have access to changing parameters, I'll blow **** up! Anthing wrong with buying a used copy of Autotap (license issues, cables, etc.). I like the HP Tuners stuff, but its way beyond me!!!

I just want to be able to monitor my KR and 02's while on the bottle at different HP settings on the juice, plugs, etc.

Thanks for all the options...

Scott
Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Greg,

I am running 150 shot no problem with 3 degress of timing out, plugs look great, feels solid. Got some Torco Accelerator to make 104-107 octane unleaded and tried 175, with no problems. Do you do any dyno stuff on the weekends? I would like to come up with the -8 plugs in and try the 200 and 250 shots with 107 octane to see of everything is looking good. I will br runing with the guy with the 422 cube black T/A with nitrous that you tuned on 7-30-04 at Norwalk...hopefully will get some mid 10's there (got a 10.9 at 128 on 150 shot, not hooking up at all first time out with nitrous)...

I will call Livernois to see if I can get in for some dyno checking!

Scott-
Old 07-08-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbolx

ugh incon, yep i remember. i also remember when he said he'd finish the kits for the sN95s

Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

If you just want to monitor, LS1M for Palm is another option.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autotap all the way. I have a diablo sport and even though it has some real-time scanning it doesn't include much and doesn't let you log histories like you'll probably want. I can't imagine doing mid-10's while staring at a computer screen
Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

I thought about the palm thing, but my Palm is a cheapie old Palm III B/W screen...and I have a kickass 17 inch monitor laptop, so I think autotap is the way to go for me....thanks for all the options, and for you guys who do you own tuning/changes, you all have much bigger pee pee's than I do!!! I am sure I would blow **** up.

SDB
Old 07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think atap is closer to 300? unless they lowered their price? (You want atap and you want the enhanced parameters... enhanced parameters costs an extra 100 i think)
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Scott,
Ya cheap bastard, just buy the HP tuners, we all know you can afford it and your smart enough to just change one thing at a time
Wolfee
(Gonna fool with HPtuners real soon I'm afraid Finally got it road worthy, just gotta work out a few bugs
Old 07-09-2004, 02:53 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

I just bought Autotap V.2 with EFI Live from EBAY...brand new (from Paceparts.com via EBAY actually)...for $327.85 shipped! Seems like a good price, and will let me monitor everything I need to!

Wolfee....get your car out and bring it out to Halls...I ordered some rear HAL shocks, my stock ones were so soft that I was rubbing a 26 inch tall M&H on the fenderlip! I also had to get a new batter tray/coolant reservoir...my stock one broke and battery was flapping around. I probably wont be out this weekend, but will try to get some runs in this week in the evening for testing with new computer toy...and I had to order a damn SF1 fire jacket..Muncie of all places told me not to come back w/out one!!! I don't even have my DS loop in, and NO other safety features at all, and was running 10's at 128 mph on a Wednesday, and they bitched about a fire jacket! Lucky I found one big enough!!!! A 5X cotton fire jacket is going to be a lot of fun in 80+ degree heat!!

Well, at least I can look at stuff and apparently changes little things with the EFI Live (may want to engage TC lockup in 2nd gear, and see if I am actually geting the timing out with the TIming Tuner I am suposed to).

SDB
Old 07-09-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Scott,
I'll most likely get HPtuners, if I can get a little info out of these guys (good or bad) then maybe you can help me with the tweaking I'll be up there next weekend. I got the car done yesterday and stood on it, guess what, I threw the damn belt! I done a search on here and found out it was a common problem so I ordered a katech tensioner from thunderracing. Hope it gets here quick I also need to paint the hood, I'll do that this weekend though, can't wait for you to see the interior parts that I painted to match the car, looks sweet! See you soon. Maybe at the track if the tensioner comes soon enough. BTW, Muncie never said anything to me when I was running 11.01's@129. Maybe they didn't because I almost lived there for a while
Wolfee