What parts make up it?

How would I install it in a RX7?

Any pics would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jason
Old 07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AIR system feeds fresh air into the cats helping to lower the emissions....It consists of an air pump, hoses, & two check valves... If you do not plan on running cats then don't worry about it.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to have the car CA smog legal, so I will have to run cats and the air system.

Is the pump electric? Is it controlled by the PCM I assume? Where does it get air from?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is electric & is controlled by the pcm.... It pulls outside air in with the use of a filter.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Teching In

The air pump only works on startup to help warm the cats up quickly to reduce the startup emissions. Once the car is warmed up there is no need for the air pump.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not optimistic that you can get the LS1 into the RX7 and still maintain EGR and AIR.
If you are doing this swap you really need the factory service manual for the vehicle that's donating the drivetrain. With this, all you AIR questions would be answered.

Go check out helms. http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

You may not need AIR to pass emissions. Like they said, it only effects cold performance, so if you've been driving for a few minutes before your test, it won't show up in exhaust gas. It will throw an SES code unless you have PCM editing software to remove it, but I'm sure you'll need PCM software anyway to do this job. I don't know how california is, but many people remove AIR and still pass emissions fine.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

On a stock F-body the air is pulled from the air intake. After going to the pump and check valves it goes into the manifolds. It is controlled by the PCM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
On a stock F-body the air is pulled from the air intake. After going to the pump and check valves it goes into the manifolds. It is controlled by the PCM.
What are you referring to by "air intake" that the air is pulled from? It is just outside air as stated before. It does go from the pump to the manifolds, however. I think the best idea is to remove AIR/EGR. I finally did just that last night . Little LS1 Edit and no EGR, AIR, or Cats I can/will still pass emissions, ain't it great

I really don't think you will need the air system. Emissions tests are normally done with the car/cats properly heated, and proper editing will totally remove the code and still allow you to pass. Unless they pop the hood and do a visual to look for AIR/EGR (never heard of this) you won't need//want it.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Actually, as I understand CA's emissions laws making practically ANY modification will void emissions. In fact, I think doing your engine swap will void the emissions in relation to CA's laws. One thing's for sure, if you have to use non-stock manifolds and Y pipe to fit that car (almost a certainty) then you've broken emission laws because they require that the cats be in the exact same location as OEM (unless you've got an exhaust system that itself was CARB certified).
That being said, I know that CA is a hotbed of hot-rodding. How do the guys that make custom rods deal with this? There must be some sort of exemption available. Whatever that is, it should allow you to transplant your engine, customize the exhaust, and remove AIR and EGR.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

sorry to butt in,
so basically my air system is good for nothing and once i get headers i cant use it anyway right? I know people have taken them off for weight reduction but i thought they did a little more than that.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
sorry to butt in,
so basically my air system is good for nothing and once i get headers i cant use it anyway right? I know people have taken them off for weight reduction but i thought they did a little more than that.
All the AIR system does, far as i'm concerned, is add weight to the nose of the car, complexity to the engine bay, and a stupid whining sound when it runs. Do not need it ESPECIALLY if you aren't running cats anyway. People remove it for weight savings (hey, the pounds add up) and so it's out of the way in the engine bay.

Quick Reply: How does the AIR system work?