Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam tuners help! Car sporadically shutters with TR 224-114

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cam tuners help! Car sporadically shutters with TR 224-114

Here is the issue. After installing my TR 224-114 cam, the car will sporadically shutter and shake like it's going to come apart. It doesn't do it all the time. It usually only happens after the engine is up to operating temperatures, and even then, it seems to come and go. One minute the car will be idling very smoothly (for minutes at a time) and then it will go through a period (of 30 seconds or more) where the entire engine and tranny shake drastically. It shakes so hard that the Y-pipe bangs off of the floorboard. The idle RMP remains consistent at ~ 800RPM. No surging or anything of that nature. It never acts as if it is about to stall. This is very annoying. Especially when you are sitting at a traffic light and everyone is looking at the car to see if it's gonna shake itself apart Can anyone help me out? The only tuning I have done for this cam was to desensitize the misfire test at low rpms and I also adjusted the throttle blade open a little to lower the IACs. I did this by disconecting the TPS, adjusting the throttle blade open a bit and reinstalling the TPS, so it thinks it is at 0% when the throttle is closed. Any help is appreaciated. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may not have gone far enough with the set screw. It could be a couple things. You may have a vacuum leak, or maybe your idle is just too low for your cam. Do you have any A-tap logs or anything?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, guess you wouldn't like the way my car idles then

Get some data logs of what's going on and what changes when the car lopes down a bit more, and you should be able to see what you need to do so solve it. There's always raising the idle RPM a touch too.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, last night I re-checked my IACs (I've been driving the car for quite a while since I last checked them) and they were coming in around high 50's. I opened the throttle blade a little more (1.6% more) and they are now down in the low 20's. That seemed to do the trick for now, but I guess only time will tell. I had them ~ 30 the first time, but I guess maybe as it learned the idle it found itself in need of more air so it drove the IACs back up. Thanks for the help.

Gary