Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA build-up questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CA build-up questions

Posted in other forums, but not to this extent. OK, just a few questions here to cap off all my nagging worries and thoughts. My original intent was to put in a TR224/224-114 cam in and then they had to go SCREW IT UP and make the 225. Now that I see that although I am in NC, I want to keep my car to pass the CA sniffer since I do not want to be here any longer than I have to. Should I go with the 114 or 112? Is there any great advantage to going to the 225? Who is the best (most likely to pass) cam grinder out there? Here we go into part two, three and four of the question. I decided to take the plunge and go with Kooks long tube 1 3/4" to a Random Tech catted Y-pipe with QTP electric in the I-pipe, followed by Magnaflow bullet to dump before the axle all 3". Is the choice on the Y-pipe a bad idea? In the rear end I am going to go with larger either 9 or 12 bolt, what is suggested? I want to make this a road course and 1/4 mile hybrid with 4.10/4.11's, I am thinking about a whole Strange set up here, am I on the right path? Now to the intake/heads I am pretty damn sure that the LSX is the intake for me but I am unsure on the heads. LS6, Patriot, 6.0, which is the best for me to keep within emissions and still give a good flow? All the gods of LS1 please help with this and give me as much feedback as possible. I would also like to have the regulations that CA sniffer will go by so when it is tuned I can keep it inside the regs. Thanks all for the patience.

P.S.- While working this out go ahead and check this link www.illwillpress.com and click toons, follow that with the Free Your Mind, Foamy's Rant 2 and Almost Serious Suicide, they are great. As a side note rocker arm, rod,spring and valve suggestions?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

The Kooks will automatically fail the visual test in Cali. With tuning you should be ok for passing sniffer with that cam. There are certain fuel additive's you can but at auto parts stores that will help you pass smog, I have no idea if anyone's ever tried them or not.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

You failed by moving the location of your cats. I am in Cal and run LT and an ORY. I figure I need to change them out every 2 years.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

The rules in cali are getting pretty strick. I don't think that 225 will pass a sniffer, if it does, i'd go with it, nice cam...

Dan
Old 07-09-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

I know that the cat and LT stuff will be a visual fail, but I am sure that I can locate a smog shop once I get back out there to overlook all that. I was also thinking that maybe I should just go ahead and take the plunge and re-register here so I can get a great setup that won't be messed with. But in the meantime, how do all the other choices sound? Good build up or room for much improvement? Will it be a fair amount of power and still be staunch enough to handle daily 101 and 5 traffic?
Old 07-10-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

TTT, really need the help here guys.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Guide me oh LS1 leaders...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Bueller? ... Bueller?