Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Removal

Can you take the oil pan out of the bottom of the car to enable you to look at the crank, bearings, ect? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by cerebrex; 07-08-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes - I've heard this is possible, but I have not seen it personnally. I think you need to disconnect the motor mounts and jack or lift the motor up, however...

What do you have F-body or Vette?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

He has a 98 T/A. He lost oil pressure (hard corner, low oil) and has a mild rod knock now so i'd like to be able to pull the pan and inspect the damage w/o removing the motor at this point.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

what he said.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is the biggest pain in the *** you will ever encounter...You can only drop the pan about 3/4 of an inch, then it will get caught betwenn the pickup tube, and the crossmember...You will have to undo the two bolts to the pickup tube (major pain in the ***) in order to get the pan off. BTW getting it back on is even harder. My suggestion is to support the engine form the top with a crossbrace, and completely drop the crossmember from the car. When we did it we undid the motor mounts, jacked up the engine and dropped the crossmember about 2 inches, and still had clearance problems...this was even with the tranny out of the car. The pan needs to be able to drop strait down about 6 inches for clearance. You can not just drop it and slide it forward due to the oil pickup. It looks like you can, but you can't. For what it's worth, make sure you have access to a lift and completly drop the crossmember...your knuckles will thank you for it, and it will be a lot quicker too.

Matt

BTW if you go through the trouble of dropping the crossmember, you might as well just leave the engine attached to it and drop the engine with it. I can take the complete engine and transmission and crossmember out of an LS1 in about 45 minutes with air tools and a lift. Just undo your strut tower bolts, wiring harness and a/c lines, and drop the corssmember. Then but the engine on a stand and drop the pan. Doing the pan with the engine still in the car took us about 3 hours. Next time I will just complete drop the engine.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Of course, 3 hours is a lot quicker than taking it out for disassemble.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your probably right...If I had to do it all over again I would just brace the engine up top and drop the crossmember completely...We had the engine braced but only dropped the crossmember about 3". Just make sure you have a good engine brace. Also if you decide to go that route do youself a favor and remove your hood. Our engine brace actually shifted back once we lowered the crossmember (due to the weird contours in the strut towers) and it ended up hitting the hood struts and bending them. I think that's about it...good luck.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

good call on the hood- I wouldn't have thought of that..