Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

explanation of gears and stall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default explanation of gears and stall?

I have read some posts on here about having a stall and gears. When installing a high stall, gears show minimal performance. Here is my problem. As of right now I have a silverado with the following mods: k&n fipk, comp 212/218 .522 .529 114, ASM longtube headers, High flow cats, magnalfow 3" in 2-2 1/2" out muffler, built transmission w/transgo, 4.10 's and posi ( and ls1 edit of course). The truck will also be getting some ported heads soon. It came with 3.42 gears and they were great on the highway and pretty dang good at the track. I wanted more so soon after I installed some 4.10's. They helped the truck from a stop, but as far as going along and punching it, they really suck to me. The transmission kicks down around 50 or so , but everywhere else there seems to be no good kickdowns like I had with the 3.42's. Anyway, I plan on a 3000 or a 3200 stall for this truck and would like to go back to 3.42's. So My question is, with a stall, do gears help that much or at all? I would like the best of both worlds if possible Street and Strip. Fill me in please.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your truck weighs more than an f-body so your results may vary.

3.23 -> 3.73 is .2 and 2 mph W/O a stall. With a 3500+ stall it drops to .1 (or less) and 1 mph.

3.23 -> 4.10s typically get .15 or less on an fbody with a 3500+ stall.

2.73 -> 3.73 yields as much as .4 W/O a stall, but about .2 with a stall. I've seen others post higher, but it frequently comes the shift points being improved/fixed as part of the process.

A 3200 stall will more than overcome going back to 3.42s. I don't know if Yank adapts the SS3600 for truck application, but that would be a good solution.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they dont help that much if you get the right converter. they will give you the biggest gains off the line if you can hook. a stall shows gains in the same area but with the stall AND gear you will probably spin. not to mention theterrible hwy gas mileage(from the gears) and worse city mileage(from the converter). i do mostly hwy driving so i chose to take the mpg loss for city driving and went with a converter. not only that, but a converter is one of the best mods you can do if you have an auto since it slips you right into your powerband and holds you there.