Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to ask the right CAM question

Old 07-10-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to ask the right CAM question

OK i seem to ask all the wrong questions so here it goes.....

Well after not getting what i wanted out of the headers ( yes i know i still need tuning ) i feel like i need a little more so with not going to crazy i want a cam that will work with my stock heads and will not require lots of other additional other parts and at the same time have a nice idle and drivability so being that i have no clue about cams like most other things i am open to all opinions , thoughts , etc..... and prices if anyone knows them as well as possible hp / tq gains.

My current mods are jet hot headers & y-pipe, SLP lid , LS6 intake, SLP loud mout (soon to go to duals).
Old 07-10-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about any cam swap will require you to change the valve springs and you'll need a new crank bolt, along with the front engine seal. Those are the essential parts you will need to complete the job. With that said, there are so many choices for you to pick from when going with a cam swap. You mentioned you wanted a nice idle and drivability, so your best bet would be to go with a cam that has a 114 or higher LSA, especially on your A4. A popular choice is the TR 224 on a 114 lsa, which would make nice power after some tuning. A good tune is very important after installing a cam, so that's another expense you have to add to your list. There are just so many choices out there for you to choose from, and countless threads on this board asking the same question. The best advice I can give you is (get ready for it)... use the search button. I'm sure you've read that a lot, but it is really a very helpful tool once you're looking to do something like a cam swap. You have to decide what plans you have for your car, and make a choice on your own. Trying to decide what cam you want is like asking who the hottest woman on the planet is, everyone is going to have their own opinion on it depending on their different taste. Happy reading.

Search this Thread