Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open loop tuning, timing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default open loop tuning, timing???

I started tuning the car in open loop lastnight and ran into a timing problem.
I tried bumping up the timing at idle to try and help get the car to idle better. First went into the low octane table and changed it to 30 degrees at idle. But when i autotapped it it wasnt set at the 30 degrees. So after doing this same thing to all the other timing tables and its still reading 26-28 degrees at idle, i went ahead and changed all the tables and every section to 30 degrees to try and find out which timing table and where its running off of in open loop. Well i havnt found it, its still 26-28 degrees at idle.

There must be another table that edit isnt looking at when in open loop for idle timing. Once i reved it up just off idle it went to 30 degrees no problem.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you get the timing in park and timing in gear tables?

Are you doing a g/cyl calculation to determine where your timing is being referenced at?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NoGo
Did you get the timing in park and timing in gear tables?

Are you doing a g/cyl calculation to determine where your timing is being referenced at?
Yes sir, i sure did get them. No on the calculations since changed the whole table to 30 on every timing table. No matter what its still 26-28 degrees at idle, but once i tip the throttle with the slightest of rev it goes to 30. I dont get it. Its acting like there is another table that edit isnt seeing and going off of for idle in open loop. When it was closed loop i didnt have a problem like this.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you pulling timing in the coolant temp advance table? That table adds/subtracts from your total timing result based on load and temp.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TA2SLOW346
Yes sir, i sure did get them. No on the calculations since changed the whole table to 30 on every timing table. No matter what its still 26-28 degrees at idle, but once i tip the throttle with the slightest of rev it goes to 30. I dont get it. Its acting like there is another table that edit isnt seeing and going off of for idle in open loop. When it was closed loop i didnt have a problem like this.
FWIW. During idle relearn (after a pcm flash) the pcm synchronises the RPM, airflow and timing - at idle. We do not see all the tables for this. Here is a very good timing explanation -> http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

joel
Old 07-13-2004, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brains
Are you pulling timing in the coolant temp advance table? That table adds/subtracts from your total timing result based on load and temp.
Nope its not that, i zeroed out the whole table just so there wouldnt be varibles.