Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend started howling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rearend started howling?

I've got the stock 10 bolt with 4.10's in it. I putting down about 400rwhp. I'm also running DR's. I raced a buddy 4 times tonight. After we were done I could hear the rearend making a louder howling noise than before. The noise comes when I'm at a constant throttle application. It goes away when I press the pedal or let off the pedal. There's no clunking. Oh yeah, I just changed the diff fluid a few days ago. I used GM posi additive. One other thing, it's an Auburn. So what does anybody think? Is my rearend about to go?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine whines on the accleration side of the gears. fubar pinion angle, worn gears ect, pinion bearings(?). I don't think that's the auburns fault. It should still be fine.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Mine whines on the accleration side of the gears. fubar pinion angle, worn gears ect, pinion bearings(?). I don't think that's the auburns fault. It should still be fine.
I changed the fluid today. I checked the teeth on the ring and pinion. All looks well. No metal in the fluid or bottom of diff either. It's a new noise from after racing last night. It's only on steady throttle input. I didn't do any 3K drops when I raced last night either.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss1le02
I've got the stock 10 bolt with 4.10's in it. I putting down about 400rwhp. I'm also running DR's. I raced a buddy 4 times tonight. After we were done I could hear the rearend making a louder howling noise than before. The noise comes when I'm at a constant throttle application. It goes away when I press the pedal or let off the pedal. There's no clunking. Oh yeah, I just changed the diff fluid a few days ago. I used GM posi additive. One other thing, it's an Auburn. So what does anybody think? Is my rearend about to go?
It may be a while, but say goodbye to your rearend.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

4.10s are going to wine after your first beat on the car with them. Mine do too, and i have about 17 track passes on the car since they were installed and 300-400 driving miles. But seeing as your car is an M6 and probably very heavy, yours will probably break before mine
Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
4.10s are going to wine after your first beat on the car with them. Mine do too, and i have about 17 track passes on the car since they were installed and 300-400 driving miles. But seeing as your car is an M6 and probably very heavy, yours will probably break before mine

My car weighs 3350 with a quarter tank of gas. It's a hardtop. I probably have 50 passes at the track on these gears. None of those passes were with DR's. The gears have been in there since about a week after I bought it in Sept. 01. It's a new sound I'm hearing.

Oh well, I better start saving for a rearend.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4.10's make a little noise at constant throttle most notable in 5th and 6th. When my pinion bearing was bad, it made a loud whirring noise if the tires were rolling. Gas on , gas off, and in every gear including reverse. You may be able to fix it with a ne bearings if the posi and gears aren't hurt.

Quick Reply: Rearend started howling?