Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? Stock rods VS. RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ??? Stock rods VS. RWHP

How much rwhp can the factory rods handle in a SC 2001 C5???

500?
550??
600???

Old 07-12-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i think the stock rods will handle any of that amount of power. the question should be how long will they handle that power for? if you have that much power id plan on a bottom end rebuild in the near future. plus it depends on how much you jump on it and how high you spin the motor. It could last anywhere from 500 miles to 100,000+ miles
Old 07-12-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
i think the stock rods will handle any of that amount of power. the question should be how long will they handle that power for? if you have that much power id plan on a bottom end rebuild in the near future. plus it depends on how much you jump on it and how high you spin the motor. It could last anywhere from 500 miles to 100,000+ miles
I was planning on a forged bottom end (SOON, 4 weeks) but was looking to re-use the factory rods and go to forged pistons and stronger rod bolts... I have an ATI blower and I am seeing 500ish rwhp now and have no plans of any thing higher. Spinning to approx. 6200 rpm.

I know I should just go ahead and do the forged rods but trying my best to cut cost...

Old 07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would bet with upgraded rod bolts that they would last for quiet some time. however, you are allready going to be in there, might as well throw in some rods.

i know how you feel though, i was thinking of using stock rods as well for my new motor. decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get forged rods becuase i thought i would regret it down the road.

good luck to you
Old 07-12-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KGSloan
i would bet with upgraded rod bolts that they would last for quiet some time. however, you are allready going to be in there, might as well throw in some rods.

i know how you feel though, i was thinking of using stock rods as well for my new motor. decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get forged rods becuase i thought i would regret it down the road.

good luck to you
I understand, but the funds are simply not there.....
Old 07-12-2004, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a supercharged application, I would expect them to last longer than a nitrous setup. Your power will come in more progressive than a single stage if nitrous. We have put down 625 RWHP on the stock connecting rods with no problems on a nitrous setup. This was a heads/cam 347 cid with JE pistons. I ran up to a 225 HP dual-stage nitrous setup on my '02 SS that put down right at 600 RWHP through an auto, and I bent one of my rods. This was on a stock short-block.

I think you'll be okay with your setup and stock connecting rods, but there are no guarantees.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
Being a supercharged application, I would expect them to last longer than a nitrous setup. Your power will come in more progressive than a single stage if nitrous. We have put down 625 RWHP on the stock connecting rods with no problems on a nitrous setup. This was a heads/cam 347 cid with JE pistons. I ran up to a 225 HP dual-stage nitrous setup on my '02 SS that put down right at 600 RWHP through an auto, and I bent one of my rods. This was on a stock short-block.

I think you'll be okay with your setup and stock connecting rods, but there are no guarantees.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Thanks Trevor, That is the information I am looking for....

Old 07-12-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing since i'm running stock rods with forged pistons and floating wrist pins. Along with ARP rod bolts. Since i'm getting ready to step up the HP i'm wondering how far i can go. i'm looking to make 600rwhp with the turbo then spray a 100shot on top of it. My engine builder said my setup with stock rods should be good for 675rwhp but i want a second opinion.
Thanks.