Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 shifter questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 shifter questions?

I am going with a TH400, but what shifter should I go with. I see the cheetah SCS and the B&M ProRatchet Shifter. I understand that I have to get an M6 console for them to fit???
Also, what does "gated" and "ratchet" mean in the TH400 world?
Can these units be used with the GV overdrive unit?

Got any pics?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:55 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gated means that the shifter has a pattern to follow. The cheetah shifter has a motion not only front to back, but you have to move it left or right to get through the gates. It allows for very positive shifts as you can't pull past the gates.

Ratchet shifters basically ratchet back and forth through the gears from front to back.

Both should work with the GV unit as it uses a button I believe to actuate the overdrive for each gear. I'm not 100% positive though and you may just want to give them a call.

You will definitely need a M6 console for the cheetah shifter. The B&M can fit in an automatic console.

On page 2 here: http://www.derty.org/photogallery/ca....php?cat_id=20 are some pics of my Cheetah shifter install.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the reply, just the answer I was looking for. Looks like the Cheetah is the way to go.

this might be a newb q, but I am learning as much as possible before I dump 4K on this setup...
With the TH400, you have to manually shift it anyway right? Or is it a true automatic like the 4L60e? Should I get a shift light like the m6 guys have?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:08 PM
The Bull

You can get a forward pattern automatic or a reverse pattern manual. Everyone usually gets a reverse pattern (1 - 2 - 3 in a downward direction versus 1 - 2 -3 in an upward like a conventional automatic). A shift light would work well, but is purely optional. I do run one on mine for the track, but at the street I shift by the seat of my pants like I do my motorcycle. You can tell where the car wants to be without looking at the tach.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pic from last year (still had original seats, and my old custom nitrous switch)
Old 07-13-2004, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

which one shifts faster? does it take longer to shift with the gated or ratchet?

also is the b&m ratchet available in reverse manual or is that a function of the tranny? (n00b)

--matt
Old 07-13-2004, 07:04 AM
The Bull

Reverse manual is a function of the transmission, but you need to purchase a shifter that is compatible with a reverse manual gear pattern.

No time difference between gated vs ratchet. They are both very fast to shift.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Instead of buying a new shifter, why not use your factory shifter. It works well and you can utilize your factory console as well unless you want a new shifter? You just have to modify your stop this allows you to shift from 1st to 2nd by just slamming the shfter, then weld a small stop between 2nd and 3rd which makes you engage the shifter button in order to shift. You can pm Mike Brown Twin Turbo CE as he was the one that modded my shifter.

Kevin
Old 07-13-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I've run both shifters before and they each have their own qualities. The cheetah shifter takes very little effort to shift due to the gate style. I did learn quickly that a quick bump is best as the spring aligns the shifter for the next shift and too much constant pressure can let you overshift. This is something that is quickly remedied when you get used to how light you have to apply to make shifts. Definitely a very slick looking piece esp. when used with the command center.

The pro ratchet handle stays located in the center position and each gear change has a stop & pull. Kinda hard to explain but imagine you're in park and you want to go to first - you have to ratchet down once (reverse) and the handle will have a positive stop and return to the center, then ratchet down again (neutral) and the handle will have a positive stop and return to the center, repeat as necessary.

It's all a matter of preference for which style sounds more appealing to you.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:36 AM

i have the cheetah scs shifter on my T/A i used an automatic console and mine fits awsome i trimed around the edges to fit right but mine looks like it came in the car this way.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

great info - - thanks for the input guys.
This is why we need a Summary/FAQ of all of the trasmissions available for the LS1
Old 07-16-2004, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I have a Cheetah, and I used the auto console as well. I made a mounting plate that positioned the shifter to where it is basically in the same spot as the factory shifter. Then ,like Stangeater said, I trimmed the opening until it was big enough. It looks really good. I'll take some pics later. Also, looking at the pics that I have seen, when you use the M6 console, it looks like the shifter handle is almost making contact with the hvac controls. When you do like I did, that isn't an issue.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

woody- Just sent you a PM for the pics when you get them, good point. The cheetah shifter does look like its really close to the HVAC controls with the M6 console
Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kevin 276
Instead of buying a new shifter, why not use your factory shifter. It works well and you can utilize your factory console as well unless you want a new shifter? You just have to modify your stop this allows you to shift from 1st to 2nd by just slamming the shfter, then weld a small stop between 2nd and 3rd which makes you engage the shifter button in order to shift. You can pm Mike Brown Twin Turbo CE as he was the one that modded my shifter.

Kevin

I did the same thing Kevin did, picked up a factory shifter/console set up and let the east coast version of Jesse James(Mike Brown) fix the shifter to work. He even had the shift pattern sticker made up to match how the new reverse shift pattern is now(P-R-N-1-2-3). Also the gearvenders can be set up like mine to where you only have a floor mounted switch(old floor type light dimmer switch), press down on the switch with you foot and release it and the gearvenders shifts into od,press the same switch again and the gearvenders disingages. There is some other fancy stuff that can operate the gearvenders in automatic mode but I didn't need that.
Tom

Quick Reply: TH400 shifter questions?