Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Got one of the new design EC 8.8" rears...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got one of the new design EC 8.8" rears...

BEEFY. That's what I thought when I saw the TA mount. I'll have some pics tomorrow if I can.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:42 AM
Teching In

How long did you wait for yours, Ive been waiting over 2 months for mine and still havent got it, do you have any other contact info for craig?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he was waiting the longest. about 11 weeks or so.

LittleDonny: Why did you delete your "who else is waiting on a 8.8?" thread?
I too would like to see the pics.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Thats good news.... That means Craig is working hard to deliever our rear ends. I cant wait for my 8.8 to come so i can hit 11's on Motor and 10's on Boost.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

well guys i am trying as hard as i can to upgrade and make ALOT better product for everyone, sorry its taking so long to get them out, but the R&D takes a bit to figure out and get into production for sure ok! thanx for being patient and understanding! craig
Old 07-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
I think he was waiting the longest. about 11 weeks or so.

LittleDonny: Why did you delete your "who else is waiting on a 8.8?" thread?
I too would like to see the pics.
Because Craig called me and told me the rearend was shipped and that he was shipping 2 others at the same time. I didn't want the thread to turn into a flamefest; it was just meant for everyone to get an idea of where they are in line.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleDonny
BEEFY. That's what I thought when I saw the TA mount. I'll have some pics tomorrow if I can.

Have any pics yet????
Old 07-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Well guys, sorry no pictures yet, but I'm still ironing out little issues. We had MAJOR clearance problems with the torque arm smashing into the tunnel/floorboard. My car is slammed though, probably the lowest car an 8.8" has gone in. We made some clearance with a giant prybar and some creativity, but it still isn't perfect. I'm going to have to dump my girdle because things are just too tight back there. I'm also going to get some Ground Control coilovers and raise the car to where it should have been if my Prokit didn't sag so much.

I'm impressed with it so far though. The biggest thing, however, is the Torsen T2R differential that went in - this thing is amazing. It's made it very hard to powerslide now - the car just doesn't want to slip, even with a good amount of throttle in a turn. The gears whine, but I didn't expect them to be quiet.

I will say that with all the prying and jostling of the rear that has been done, the TA mount is very solid. The tubing that some have snapped is now very thick and boxed, and there are welds all over the place.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

keep us post with your progress!!!thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

hey sean why are you having to get rid of the girdle? i have never had any clearence issues? and the gear whine where is it at on decell or accel? i havent had any probs with gear whine either? and yes when cars are slammed the TA is really close to the tranny tunnel, the way the 8.8 is designed, the TA mount can't go any closer to the pinion because the fill plug is there thats why the TA is so close. anyways glad you like it let me know if there is any problems ok! thanx
craig
Old 07-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know if you sell MAC girdles, but that's what I'm using. Basically, the car is so low that the diff cover is hitting the upper panhard rod in suspension travel. We also had to modify the stock rear sway bar to clear the girdle. With the bigger rear, bottom line is that I need more suspension travel, which is why I'm ditching the prokit for the ground controls.

The whine is on accel. It's slight, but noticable. I don't really mind the whining as long as it doesn't mean something is weakening or is a sign that something is about to go wrong. I'm breaking it in with 80W-90 dino Valvoline, and I'm about to switch to 75W-140 Redline synthetic.

I sprayed a 75 shot on the street last night through 2 gears (on street tires) and the rear didn't seem to mind. When I had my 10 bolt, immediately after I sprayed the rear would howl.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default 8.8

hey sean i don't use mac girdles they dont fit very good (usually have to enlongate the holes to get them to line up) and there are clearence issues, i use the TA girdle and have had no issues with them. they fit perfect everytime. and the slight gear whine might go away once the gears get broke in real good just keep an ear out and make sure it doesn't get louder ok.
craig
Old 07-21-2004, 01:01 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LittleDonny, you need an adjustible PANHARD ROD to get that rear centered correctly. I had the same exact problem upon first installing mine, but I just adjusted the panhard and slid it right over. Problem solved and no clearance issues
Old 07-21-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Damian
LittleDonny, you need an adjustible PANHARD ROD to get that rear centered correctly. I had the same exact problem upon first installing mine, but I just adjusted the panhard and slid it right over. Problem solved and no clearance issues

Do u have the prokit?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Were the gears are broken in before you started spraying?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

The gears were broken in for a few hundred miles, yes. They whined from the beginning - I had a 150 mile trip to make and they whined then. I've only sprayed once, and it was a 50 shot to make sure my n20 system was still working. The whine is only really noticable on the transition from accel to decel and vice versa, and a little at freeway speed.

I have an APHR, and we had to actually offset the rear to the right to get more clearance. My Prokit is not normal though guys, I think it's defective - my rear tires tuck into the fenders. If your drop is not extreme I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Mine whines pretty bad too it wasn't noticeable at first it just got louder. now its really loud but i think its cause i put on some race only LCA's, and the BMR track pack on. so they transfer alot more noise.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yours whines too? Do you launch it hard at the track? I figure if it whines and it still survives hard launches I have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

i think we all know the answer to that question.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

but yeah i beat the ever living **** out of my car when i go to the track. mine whines just like yours not on accel or deccel just right in between. I was thinking about going with some 4.30's so they could be set up right with no whine and get a little extra gear.