Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How Can I Ship Tires As Cheap As Possible

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can I Ship Tires As Cheap As Possible

I Just Shipped Four 275/40/17 By Ups Ground And They Charged Me 100 Bucks To Do It. That Kindof Sucks. Can Anyone Else Ship Them Cheaper??
Old 07-13-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get some large boxes (usually 26"x26"x10") and box them up, UPS usually is ~$10-12 each. I assume that you just shipped them as-is and unboxed? If so, UPS charges an "unboxed" fee or something like that.

Shawn

Last edited by SPANKY LS1; 07-13-2004 at 06:41 PM. Reason: because I can't speel wirth a sheet!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:49 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I shipped 2 275/40/17s via FedEx for $13. All you have to do is tape them together with clear tape, I couldn't believe how cheap it was. I shipped locally, but to go cross country it was only like $17.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

When shipping items it pays to shop! I am a BMW/MINI COOPER Parts Advisor and I use UPS every single day; sometimes as many individual shipments as 50. We are a large auto campus with multiple makes such as: GM (Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, and GMC), Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Mercury, Nissan, Honda, Mini, VW, Mazda, Scion, BMW, Toyota, and Lexus. I use UPS because they have a daily route at our campus, but I occasionally check the rates on FED-EX's website(using the same shipping methods and dimensions/weight) and many times FED-EX is cheaper. UPS has a bad reputation for being "ROUGH" with packages, literally destroying boxes and it's contents. UPS also has a reputation for losing packages. UPS does however pay-up when they lose a shipment, but when they destroy a package(walking on it, crushing it, or droping it) they don't pay-up; even if you insure the package. I sold a set of Mini Cooper wheels (brand new) and I insured each of the four boxes for $400.00 each and wrapped each rim with three layers of bubble wrap and UPS managed to mangle one of the boxes. One of the boxes was wrapped with duct tape to keep the box from falling apart and the wheels outer lip was fuc%ed-up beyond belief. My customer immediately took digital pictures of the box and the rim, and emailed them to me. I forwarded the pictures to UPS and they said it was my fault because I didn't sufficiently package the rim. They flat out denied my claim and I ended up eating a $450.00 rim. For expensive items...use FED-EX!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I don't do a lot of shipping, but I bought a painted SS spoiler which arrived at my house on 5/23/04. When I opened the box there was a chip in one of the corners all the way down to the fiberglass. I e-mailed the guy I bought it from and he said it was perfect when it was shipped. When I checked in the box there were 2 chips that matched the damage perfectly. I called fedex the next day, cause the package was insured. They started a claim for me. Well it is now 7/14/04 and I have received no indication whatsoever. I have made at least a dozen phone calls, faxed over damage estimates and proof of value 3 times, and have sent 8 digital pictures of the damage and still nothing. They have made zero effort to get this resolved. It appears to me that they are hoping I will just go away, but that won't happen. Fedex definitely doesn't get my vote.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Dont ship tires in a box. UPS's shipping guide says to tape the label directly to the tire.

If you are shipping wheels, with tires on them, cover the face and back of the wheels with cardboard.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I shipped wheels and tires for $26 per wheel/tire from WA state to NY using Fed Ex... would have been over $40 per wheel/tire using UPS.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Like weatherman said..Use FEDEX ground..Ive shipped pairs of tires taped together for like $15.00 from Texas to California. By far the cheapest.

Ricker