New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spend some money :D

Old 07-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me spend some money :D

I'm looking for some ideas for moderately priced mods that will give me the most bang for the buck.

I've got ~$500 to spend... What do you think?

The car:
99 SS M6
TSP lid with Holley powershot
Smooth bellows (Fernco )
Cutout (I've got a MAC ORY on order)

The car put down 316/330 as it sits

My thoughts:

I was looking into headers, but seeing as this is my daily driver I didn't want to go too over the top with it.

Catback - I doubt that any catback will flow better than my open cutout

How much difference does a good shifter make in a daily driver?

-Pardon my ramblings... Any and all thoughts are welcome
Old 07-14-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i really dont see headers as going "over the top" i think headers are perfect for a daily driver
so, i would say get headers
Old 07-14-2004, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

I agree, headers def won't be going over the top. You could probably get a nice pair of Hookers or Pacesetters for less than 400, in fact I think one of the sponsors is having a sale right now on the Pacesetters. Plus, your car will sound even meaner.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Looked into it, But I know there is no way that I can install them myself. Gotten quotes of around $400 for an install. That will put me way over my set spending limit.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

I think headers through an ORY and cutout would be a little over the top for a DD. If you kept the cutout capped and had the ORY and headers through the stock exhaust, that should be fine for daily driving and open up that cutout for track days and weekend blasts.

Depending on what headers you get, you could get a short stick if you have the factory hurst shifter. Very inexpensive and major improvement in the feel. If you have the non-hurst factory shifter, a Pro 5.0 would make a HUGE difference. I have the factory hurst with a lou's short stick and I really like it. But I drove my friends who has a Pro 5.0 and it is definately a step above the hurst.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you couldn't manage the install yourself? Maybe someone local could give you a hand, let you use some tools you don't have, etc etc. Where in MI are you? Also, don't know if it's too late, but an ORY through an open cutout probably won't sound very good and a y-pipe is best purchased once you get headers for the most part.

If you are looking for more speed, there isn't a whole lot to choose from for $500 since you have lid and cutout and don't want to do installation yourself. New shifter? Drag radials? Subframe connectors? Cat-back? Cold air induction?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Are you sure you couldn't manage the install yourself? Maybe someone local could give you a hand, let you use some tools you don't have, etc etc. Where in MI are you? Also, don't know if it's too late, but an ORY through an open cutout probably won't sound very good and a y-pipe is best purchased once you get headers for the most part.

If you are looking for more speed, there isn't a whole lot to choose from for $500 since you have lid and catcutout and don't want to do installation yourself. New shifter? Drag radials? Subframe connectors? Cat-back?
Well the ORY is being put in because I've got plugged cats.

I live in apartment complex, so I have nothing but the most basic of hand tools and absolutely no place to work.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Oh, and Sterling Heights is a suburb of Detroit
Old 07-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I mean, don't get me wrong... I'd LOVE a set of LTs, but the pipes will bust my budget (unless someone here works for pizza and beer )
Old 07-14-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about some NOS? That'll give you a nice little kick in the pants. Neighbors'll never even need to know.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
How about some NOS? That'll give you a nice little kick in the pants. Neighbors'll never even need to know.
You know that DID cross my mind
Old 07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

I am sure you can find someone local to help you install them at their place. I am always willing to help others! Check the regional forum and see if anyone has a garage, jack and jack stands.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

im also in the field of disturbed as well, u guys are saying pacesetters. how much would they give? and would i lose my gas mileage because ill be comuting everyday to college this year and it is about 30 miles?

edit: oh yea and what about an ls6 intake manifold and new '02 28.8 fuel injectors and fuel rails.

which would be the better and what would be the plus if i get eether or?

Last edited by emanneercstahp; 07-14-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

Headers did not hurt my gas mileage, except that i gave it more gas more often b/c it sounded that much better If you are running rich (as i, and most header installed untuned cars are) you might lose a tiny bit, but don't worry about it i bet you don't even notice a diff. A LS6 intake manifold is nice, but it's not worth the money before you get headers IMO. You're looking at single digits of RWHP on an LS6 intake with a bolt on car normally, I *think*, and it makes a bigger diff when you ahve a cam. Suburb of detroit, damn. I would help most people with a header install for virtually nothing if they lived close enough.....I asked because I can be in the very southwest tip of michigan in about 30 mins. Oh well
Old 07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

LT's did not hurt my gas mileage either.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DisturbedOne
I mean, don't get me wrong... I'd LOVE a set of LTs, but the pipes will bust my budget (unless someone here works for pizza and beer )
pizza an beer, mmmm. lol, i would help ya out but i have so many installs coming up between putting a cam in my car and redoing heads/cam in my friends car my garage is a little booked, lol. if you run into problems i can probably swing by and help ya out, done many header installs. i would advise not doing the ypipe yourself, pain in the rear without a lift and exhaust tools.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

TSP has great pricing on Pacesetters right now, they're the new design. They run something like 375. With shipping and tax you're still under your budget. You could probably find a used NOS 5177 kit around here for like 350-400 usually. Headers aren't that bad as long as you can get the car elevated a little. I'm nowhere near you, otherwise I'd bring my tools/equipment over and work for beer/pizza. I am lucky, since I'm retired Army I have access to the lifts at the auto center on post. Try and find out if there is a facility like that near you...its usually 5-10 an hour.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

yea ive been looking into some pacestters, but i have a question.... what would be the benefits if they were coated/noncoated, do i need or want them coated or what?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

I've also been looking at the pacesetters- there a good deal for under 400$
my question is what makes other headers such as QTP or KOOKS so much better that they cost almost twice as much like 750-800$.

-Stuart
Old 07-15-2004, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

also, any one in my area work for pizza and beer?

Search this Thread