Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help on problem with 98z

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help on problem with 98z

Looking for any assistance from someone more mechanicaly inclined than myself. When I put my car in drive it does not move forward as usual. I have to give it gas and than prior to moving there is a loud clunk that nearly shakes the whole car than it kind off lurches forward. After starting out it seems to ride fine until I start to come to a stop. I than again hear the clunk, clunk sound and it kind of jerks a little bit. There are no problems when I put it in reverse though. I have some mechanical abilities but not much. My guess would probably be universal joints but the Idle seems to drop lower than normal when placing in drive. The damb car only has 29,000 miles on it with just basic mods. I would not think that the u's would go out prior to 30,000 miles especially since I very rarely give it hell. Any Ideas???? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you bought the car used it is possible that the previous owner raced it and the first gear clutch pack is slipping. I am not for sure that this is your problem, but it could be a possibility.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there any vibration while driving at all, and if so what speeds?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by exodus
is there any vibration while driving at all, and if so what speeds?
No vibrations while driving. Just the old clunk, clunk, boom, clank when trying to start out and when coming to a stop.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Teching In

In case there is any questions it is a A4. I also know the original owner very well 67 year old man. While he did tend to drive pretty fast it was alway on the highway driving fairly fast for extended periods. I know there was probably never any racing, 1/4 runs or hard launches. This sucks I finally talked my wife into letting me get headers and than something goes wrong that will come out of my header fund. That is twice I think that it must be a sign that I should not buy headers. Maybe I should pursue a TC instead. Anyway I greatly appreciate any info or ideas that anyone has.
Thanks,
Old 07-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Something I forgot the noise seems to be from the rear end or drive shaft and not the tranny. At least my best guess.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you determine that it is not a u joint, then I would recomend that you pull off the cover on the rear end. While it is off, look for anything that doesn't look right such as broken gear teeth, any parts in the bottom of the case, springs poking out of the posi unit, or a ton of metal shavings.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Launching!

sounds like what mine did before the tranny went to crap! exactly, except mine did that for about a day, then I had no first or reverse. My car had 38500 when the tranny went, no nitro, no H/C, no nothing. NO track passes at all.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

might be right, I am only making suggesting some posabilities.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I was traveling for work so I have not got to investigate further. I took the car out Saturday and had no problems what so ever. I dont understand that but it ran perfect. I did take it to the local tranny shop and had a full service done. They said everything looked great. Don't understand. When that did happen I had just gotten on it pretty good know that I think about it, but I have had no problems since that day. I just don't understand how it could be acting like it is going to fall apart one day and be fine the next time I drive it.
Thanks and I will keep posted if I ever find the problem.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure either, but keep your eyes and ears open!