Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Quick Q about Lug Nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Quick Q about Lug Nuts...

Are they all the same? I am looking to get the install kit from RkSport, but you can't select a thread size. Will this kit work to install a set of Z06 wheels? Thanks

http://rksport.com/product/p_66665814/view_detail
Old 07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

ttt
Old 07-16-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lug nuts should be "acorn bulge" style (cone seat) and have a M12x1.5 thread. I don't recognize the part number for the Gorilla kit in your link. It must be an RK Sport number. Summit has the correct installation kit - p/n GOR-91933 for about $21 too...

FWIW, the McGard lugs are a nicer piece than the Gorillas - a bit more expensive though. If you're interested in the McGards you can get them through Summit or Jegs as well. The full install kit with locks is p/n 84537 (these are closed end lugs also). You can look here for more info too: http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/auto_search.asp

EDIT: I'm assuming you're using OEM wheel studs. If you have 1/2" dia. wheel studs or longer wheel studs that require open lugs, you'll have to find what'll work for your application.

Last edited by Fulton 1; 07-16-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, so the closed end lugs will work with the stock studs, right? And what does 'Bulge' mean. The p/n you gave me are for the bulge nuts, but there is an identical set that doesnt say bulge, and its $5 more - p/n GOR-71933

Thanks again
Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Thanks, so the closed end lugs will work with the stock studs, right? And what does 'Bulge' mean. The p/n you gave me are for the bulge nuts, but there is an identical set that doesnt say bulge, and its $5 more - p/n GOR-71933

Thanks again
Take a look here - http://www.gorilla-auto.com to compare the styles. The bulge style get a little wider at the seat - hence the "bulge". This is the correct style to use with these (and most aluminum) wheels that have a countersink hole design. If you use the regular cone seat lugs, the nut will be too narrow and it'll sit down in the countersink a bit more. It'll still work, but it looks bad and you're not going to get the full seat contact area. You want closed lugs unless you have longer wheel studs (the closed ones would bottom out on the longer studs). Make sense?

BTW, I happen to have a complete 91933 kit sitting here - brand new never installed. I'll sell it to you for $15 plus shipping if you're interested. PM me if you want them. They'll just sit in my garage otherwise...

Last edited by Fulton 1; 07-16-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I'll just order them from Summit, thanks though. They are only 150 miles or so away and they will be here in one to two days.

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Take a look here - http://www.gorilla-auto.com to compare the styles. The bulge style get a little wider at the seat - hence the "bulge". This is the correct style to use with these (and most aluminum) wheels that have a countersink hole design. If you use the regular cone seat lugs, the nut will be too narrow and it'll sit down in the countersink a bit more. It'll still work, but it looks bad and you're not going to get the full seat contact area. You want closed lugs unless you have longer wheel studs (the closed ones would bottom out on the longer studs). Make sense?

BTW, I happen to have a complete 91933 kit sitting here - brand new never installed. I'll sell it to you for $15 plus shipping if you're interested. PM me if you want them. They'll just sit in my garage otherwise...