Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have i thought of the right parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have i thought of the right parts?

Alright, this is my plan. I'll be off making money but my car will be sitting. I plan on buying all the parts while i'm away, then having it put together later. I'm not looking to build a track car at all, so i'm looking for something reliable and somewhat alright for a daily. I've been scrounging through sponsers sites and have picked out parts. My question is... what am i missing? and what are your suggestions for the parts i chose?
I want to build this right the first time and just enjoy driving my car (on the street)

I have most bolt ons excluding the ls6 intake, i'm shooting for mid 400's to the wheels... we shall see i suppose

Parts i've picked out

-Spec stage 3 clutch with 01 Clutch Slave Cylinder
-Ls6 intake
-TR ported ls6 oil pump
-Rollmaster Double-Roller Adjustable Timing Set
- TSP 231/237 cam
- Looking at the Cam package from TSP, Crane Double Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Hardened Springs Seats, GM Valve Seals, TSP hardened pushrods
- 3.73 gears

As far as heads, i'm still comparing em. The TR Stage 2 heads have my intrest so far..

Thats all i've thought of now, bigger injectors have crossed my mind but i don't know if i need them yet.

I appreciate anyone's opinion in helping me build a strong/streetable (full wieght)/reliable car.
Suggestions please?

Thanks,
Drew
Old 07-17-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

You need an ASP pulley. Its good for .10 and 8 rwhp. Also, I would leave the oil pump and timing chain alone. Its over kill. I did it and I wish I would have saved the money. If you do go with the double roller you will need to have the pulley machined so that it will fit properly. Some of the Sponser sell it with the machining already done. If you want to install a new roller, go with an adjustable single so that you can properly degree in your cam. If you are going to run a cam, you need to run header and an off road y to get the most out of it. Otherwise, you will leave a lot of power on the table.

Finally, have fun. These cars love mods and you will love the power. Almost forgot! If you are going to run stock heads and you are concerned with driveabilty and smog you might want to go with a smaller cam. Maybe the TSP 224 or a MTI 222. I run a 220 and make nearly 400rwhp. The 231 won't pass smog and you will need a lot of tuning plus daily driving manners will be greatly affected. Good Luck for reals this time.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Hmm... i hadn't thought of the timing chain and oil pump as overkill, i've had buddies who have broke the chain... and thats not something i'd like to go through. The other stuff i'll look over tho, thanks for the reply. Also, who sells the machined pulley?

Guess it would be easier to tell you guys what i have already on the car eh.

mods-FTRA, lid/filter/bellow, Jantzer ported TB, LongTubes, ORY, Borla catback
misc stuff- slp fan override, pro 5.0 shifter, free mods.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am compelled to chime in on this one, first I would do the chain and pump that you have already chosen. It probably is over kill but with the strain that we end up putting on these things a little overkill is...good insurance. They aren't that expensive considering that you will already have everything apart. Instead of upgrading the valve train I would just opt for Stage II heads that are already setup with the valve train you want, it will end up giving your much bigger gains and will compliment those LT headers. I have to agree with Bowtieman4life on your cam choice. Considering you have an A-4 and you want really good street manners I would stay with 224 or below with a 114 LSA so that you’re tuning and idle are sane. The 3.73's are great and I love mine but before you change them out spend the money on a 2800 stall converter and a Transgo shift kit. After that you may find that the gear change is not needed. Remember that 3.73's are like an M-6 with 411's. I have both and if you like putting on burnout shows then the gears and stall are the way to go. Getting the tires to stick has become my biggest issue now but the seat of the pants is totally kick *** and very impressive. I also have the under drive pulley and it is a good mod and will gain your actual HP that you can feel.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the Reply, I see that those Thunder Racing heads have all the valve train stuff i want in them already... [Mr.Burns] Excellent.... [/Mr.Burns] I have an 6 speed btw (hence the clutch suggestion).
Old 07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I missed the M-6, all I saw was 98' Black T/A A4. LOL, I didn't catch that it was gone. With an M-6 you can do a 112 LSA and get a little meaner idle if you want.