Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to HP Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie to HP Tuning

I took the plunge today and bought the HP Tuner. Over the last two days I have been reading everything I can about it. Before I jump in and start fiddling with stuff for the mods I have listed below can anyone offer me some insight as to the parameters that I will want to tweak and in what direction? How about advice on what to stay away from? All advice will be greatly appreciated from someone who has never tuned before but wants to learn. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I take it no one has any advice at all????
Old 07-18-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ram-it
I take it no one has any advice at all????

Read this page about what LTFT's are and Knock Retard. http://www.c5forum.com/diy/ltft.php

You need to do a lot of logging initially to see where everything is right now before you start making changes. I would try to get your LTFT's in check and make sure you don't have any knock retard as that will rob you of horsepower.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! After I installed my cam I had a friend with a Predator take a reading for me. With the HPP3 installed and at idle my LTFT's were anywhere from 7 to 10. I went home and put the stock tune in and went back. They dropped to 4 to 6 which was good but still off. I do not know what I need to work on to bring these down but I will get a good set of data and WOT runs before I go forward. Once I get that info what area do you look at for correcting this issue or is it multiple things?
Old 07-18-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ram-it
Thanks! After I installed my cam I had a friend with a Predator take a reading for me. With the HPP3 installed and at idle my LTFT's were anywhere from 7 to 10. I went home and put the stock tune in and went back. They dropped to 4 to 6 which was good but still off. I do not know what I need to work on to bring these down but I will get a good set of data and WOT runs before I go forward. Once I get that info what area do you look at for correcting this issue or is it multiple things?

If you haven't already I would download their latest version they released this weekend. It fixes many important areas and also adds alot of things. It adds to the time you scan do datalogging as well. They have increased it to about 83 minutes per log @ 10fps. I would setup the scanner on your laptop and drive around in various conditions like on the interstate, in stop and go traffic, etc.. I would do this as long as you possibly can so you can get enough data to be useful. You can then playback the data in the scanner and look at your LTFT's all the way throughout the table to see where you need to make changes to your VE Table,etc...
Within the "Histogram" view you can also playback you Knock Retard, I would set the table display to "MAX" so that when you play it back it will not dissappear if it doesn't happen again in a cell.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really appreciate the info. Will do and will also let you know what I found and how I did. Thanks again.