Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? reguarding spun rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? reguarding spun rod bearings

I have an 01 Z that has the good ole piston slap but lately it seems as if I have picked up a noise between 3500-5000. I would descibe the sound as a mix of piston slap and a very light rod knock. It could very well be all piston but I was just wandering if anyone could shed a little light on this. I use Mobil1 5w30 and pressure and level seem to be fine. I did a search and have read several threads on rod bearing failures. Is this common on particular years or is it an rpm (excessive) issue. I failed to see a common factor to explain the failures. Any advice would be very appreciated.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

i dont know what your noise is, but i do know that the #1 #2 and #3 reasons of rod bearing failures is due to low oil level, if is VERY easy to spin a rod bearing being even a half quart low.. i spun mine when i was a quart low..

i have found that most rod bearings that fail because of low oil are farthest away from the pump. mine was a #6 twice, once was after a shotty rebuild
Old 07-17-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Correct me if I'm wrong but rod knock wouldn't be RPM specific would it? In other words it wouldn't just make noise at a given RPM window?