Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions???

Esteemed Professionals,
As a new and clueless LS1 owner, may I please ask a few questions concerning the HP tuners for the '98 Z28? First, my car has a check engine light and the previous owner says it is because he removed the air pump. Will the HP tuner system pinpoint that and turn the light off? Second, the car seems to pull pretty strong up until around 4000 rpm, then it feels like it is breaking down under WOT. Will the HP tuner system scan readings so that a professional could read the data and diagnose the performance problem? Lastly, could a professional tuner, say, in another state, build a software database, so to speak, that could be sent to me and loaded into my car for a performance tune through HP tuners? Thanks for taking the time to respond. -- Tom
Old 07-17-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you'd be able to read the code and turn it off through hp tuners. As for your power problem, it will show up if the problem is knock retard or something pcm related. If it is something mechanical like valve float or cam a tooth off or something weird like that then no it probably won't show up. Are you talking about buying hptuners, and then having someone send you a file to load to your pcm? It'd probably be better to learn yourself if you're gonna buy it anyway.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok

Thanks, if a regular Joe can learn it and do his own tuning then I'll give it my best shot. Wow, that power problem worries me now. I hope it's just a tuning problem. - Tom