Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASA cam stock tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASA cam stock tune?

I tried using the search button and didn't find an answer to my question. I have a 00 a4 and was thinking about the asa cam on stock tune. I only read about a asa cam on stock tune in a M6, but will it work on a a4? I don't want to tune it yet till i'm done modding my car and this will be the first mod. Any advice or do's or don'ts? Thanks
Old 07-18-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white00ws6
I tried using the search button and didn't find an answer to my question. I have a 00 a4 and was thinking about the asa cam on stock tune. I only read about a asa cam on stock tune in a M6, but will it work on a a4? I don't want to tune it yet till i'm done modding my car and this will be the first mod. Any advice or do's or don'ts? Thanks
An ASA cam is not a good first mod.

1st - Convertor + Tires: Do them both.
2nd - Tuning and exhaust.

At this point, you will have mid 12 second daily driver if you select the right parts, and adjust where necessary.

Then worry about internals.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

my traction is okay as for now. coverter i understand why i should get it, but why would i get tunning if i don't have any mods done yet, especially considering tuning is not cheap.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

First off, a cam being your first mod is frankly a not so great idea. You won't be able to take advantage of the full effects of the cam. The ASA cam is pretty decently sized cam(226/236 525/525 110 degree LCA), and thats not going to behave well in an A4 on a stock tune, or even with a great tune, unless you get a stall converter. The 110LSA is real iffy on an A4, even a 112LSA is hard to tune, idles rough. My first LS1 was an A4, and unfortunately I never got to throw a 'verter in there before it got totalled...but after exhaust, it was my next mod. Get a lid, a 'verter, a tranny cooler, throw some exhaust on there. If you're going to cam your car, you NEED a stall in there. Don't forget, to truely get the full effects of a cam, you'll need to open up your intake as well as your heads. Def get a LS6 intake manifold if you have a 98-00. 3.73 gears wouldn't hurt at all, especially after the stall. BTW, I'm not sure if you can run an ASA cam w/o an upgraded valvetrain, you will need to check into that. An LS6 valvetrain, or Comp 918's, should work well.

Tuning will be necessary to delete Torque Management, which inhibits a torque converter from fully being taken advantage of. Its like CAGS in an M6, its an annoying feature used to make the car more efficient and friendly. Its a waste of PCM space for an A4 w/a stall.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ASA will run with LS6 valvetrain.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:36 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
First off, a cam being your first mod is frankly a not so great idea. You won't be able to take advantage of the full effects of the cam. The ASA cam is pretty decently sized cam(226/236 525/525 110 degree LCA), and thats not going to behave well in an A4 on a stock tune, or even with a great tune, unless you get a stall converter. The 110LSA is real iffy on an A4, even a 112LSA is hard to tune, idles rough. My first LS1 was an A4, and unfortunately I never got to throw a 'verter in there before it got totalled...but after exhaust, it was my next mod. Get a lid, a 'verter, a tranny cooler, throw some exhaust on there. If you're going to cam your car, you NEED a stall in there. Don't forget, to truely get the full effects of a cam, you'll need to open up your intake as well as your heads. Def get a LS6 intake manifold if you have a 98-00. 3.73 gears wouldn't hurt at all, especially after the stall. BTW, I'm not sure if you can run an ASA cam w/o an upgraded valvetrain, you will need to check into that. An LS6 valvetrain, or Comp 918's, should work well.

Tuning will be necessary to delete Torque Management, which inhibits a torque converter from fully being taken advantage of. Its like CAGS in an M6, its an annoying feature used to make the car more efficient and friendly. Its a waste of PCM space for an A4 w/a stall.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

my traction is okay as for now. coverter i understand why i should get it, but why would i get tunning if i don't have any mods done yet, especially considering tuning is not cheap.
Do you want to go fast? Or do you want to waste lots of $$$ attempting to?

Listen to Obi-Wan-Rat. Rat knows. Rat has watched the parade of hundreds of guys wasting money with nothing to show for it.

Tuning is "cheap". For the gains you get, it is good $$$/ET. Moving your shift points, killing the IAT Retard table, etc, will make you car go MUCH quicker than any cam on the market if you DON'T tune.

Or experiment. Your call.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

how bout on a M6 stock tune and asa hot cam + full bolt ons ???
Old 02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will probably run, just reek of fumes from running really rich at lower rpms along with stalling, surging, and bucking.

Quick Reply: ASA cam stock tune?