Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much bore a stock block can take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much bore a stock block can take?

how much can i bore a stock block? should i bore my bottom end and put forged internals with the stock crank, or should i buy a shortblock from somwhere???
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully I remember correctly, but I thnk the 99+ can take up to a .010 overbore. Before that, they could only be honed. If youre thinking about adding cubes, its not gonna happen with both a stock block and a stock crank.

-T
Old 07-19-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the .010 bore a worthwhile venture? Also, I was asking in another thread about forged internals- I know they are better for blower apps, but are they worhtwhile if you don't get a blower? Where is the best place to get them and how much $$$? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is a .010 overbore worthwhile? In terms of displacement, no. If you have scored cylinder walls, then yes, the bore will clean the cylinder walls up. Forged internals are better for ANY power adder. Blower, turbo, nitrous oxide... If youre not running a power adder, you may not need to go forged, but the price and availability may lead you back to forged anyway. Plus it leaves you the option of a serious power adder down the road. One option you might consider is going with a longer stroke, rather than boring and re-sleeving. On a budget, atleast in terms of increased displacement, you can get your stock crank offset ground, along with some shorter connecting rods and pistons. Remember that youll need a fairly aggressive cam and heads to feed the added displacement. As far as where to buy the stuff.... well, you might consider doing it locally, but you can check out some options online. Id start with Texas Speed, they have some nice packages, and it will give you an idea as to what a large displacement LS1 requires / costs.

-Tony