Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need helpfeels whipy after headers and threw a code!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need helpfeels whipy after headers and threw a code!!

About four days ago I installed Pacesetter Coated LT with a true dual system I ordered from JcWhitney 3inch with X and 12inch Bullets dumped at axle. I did this mods on a stock 98 WS6 M6. I mean nothing was done to the car. I have done enough reading about how I would possibly lose a bit of low end tq due to size of duals, so were past that. But the problems stands I pulled the plugs during install, they were very black and were just toast. So I went and got NGK-Tr55's gapped at .055.. I also read here that if the plugs are black like that that you were most likely running rich. So after the install I'm now thinking I was running rich to start and that the headers will make my car even richer, because that's what happens after headers I'm told. The car feels the same as stock. It sounds awsome but feels the same maybe even less. So I'm driving around for about to days and with the sims plugged in I have no codes or anything. To preface the lower EGR on the pass. side bolts I could not get tightened with wrench or any tools, so they were just hand tightened. I knew I had a small leak. After 2 days I was driving to a local dyno day when my SES light pops on. It isn't blinking so I know it's not a misfire but I'm thinking must be the EGR leak. So I go to Home Depot and get some new longer bolts and tighten them up. Ok start her up still a code. So I take all the o2 sensors and sims and take them out and put them back on still the light. So inconlusion I'm pissed I'm running damn rich and will most likely have get a tune there's 450 dollars from a shop or a I could send it in for like 150-250 to LS1speed type place. And I have a SES light ..........
The car feels the same. I am going to get it dynoed on Sat. and have the A/F read as well. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.. Thanks

P.S. Can an Ls1 edit or another hand held tune my A/F because that's all I want not a full tune......... Thanks again
Old 07-19-2004, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

There are ways to tune your Air Fuel ratio with Edit. I would get HP tuners though. Do you plan on doing anything else to your car? I would find someone in your area that can pull your code for you. Is the car running steady or is it hesitating. Your SES light doesnt have to flash in order to have a misfire. A flashing SES means you have multiple misfires. How about your AIR system? Have you checked that? Your code could very easily be caused by that. A 3 inch true dual set-up is way too much for your car right now. You dont need 3 inches until you get closer to 450 - 500 RWHP. I would recheck all of your plug wires and make sure they are connected.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

I do plan on doing more things to the car. I need at least a lid and other easy bolt on's, just have to wait for money though. Can autozone pull codes or I will just ask somebody on mofbody.com. I did't know that about the possibly misfire I will check thank you. So I most likley need to find someone with a tuner to help with A/F thing??
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, I am not sure if Autozone can pull codes for you. I always had my HP Tuners pull them for me. I would start with establishing what your code is. Once you know the SES code you have we can help you from there.

As far as tuning, you have two choices. You can try and learn it yourself and tune it on a dyno with tuning software (around $500), ro you can just have it tuned at a dyno shop. It is your preference as to how to approach it.