Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

what tires are you using for your skinnies

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tires are you using for your skinnies

got a set of Bogarts on the way and plan on running 26 10 15 MT ET Drags out back and was advised not to put a cheapo VW size tire on the front, which is what i planned on doing cuz theyre cheap and see a lot of guys run them, i was advised to go with a MT ET Front or Moroso DS2, he told me that running a radial up front with a non radial in back can really cause a unstable ride down the track, down sides to the morosos and MT fronts are they are expensive and seems to me that they could be punctured very easily but are a good bit lighter than the cheepo tires....what should i do guys, money is tight but want things done safely so will not go cheap on that
Old 07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

I've never heard of anyone complain about the 165R15's before, as far as causing "instability" before. I run them on mine, and as you said, so do alot of other guys. If I had the extra cash, I guess I'd go with the MT's, but for now I am perfectly happy with what I've got.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

I have heard the same and my car is "wobbly" on the high end right now with hoosier slicks out back and Firestone 165R15 radials up front. I was told if I switch to a non radial up front, the "wobbly" feeling will go away.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said. Wobbly stuff comes from running a radial on front and a bias ply on the back. My car with radials on back and skinnies on the front drives great.

I've ran Pep Boy Futura's on my last 2 sets of rims, they work great IMO.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

im just gonna give the Futura 165 r15's a try, im gonna run 26 10 16 MT ET Drags out back
Old 07-24-2004, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some quick info for you guys...

The above statement of mixing tire design is correct...staying with the same type has more advantages. Using a front radial with a drag non-radial is even more extreme...floating will be even more pronounced as the drags are less stiff then et streets for example.

Another large downfall of using the VW tire over a drag runner is that stopping can be worsened as well as rolling resistance comprimised. Your also ADDING 12 lbs of rotating mass to your front end! I see guys removing parts just to save 10-20 lbs i.e. k-member, bumper supports etc...why add more weight when its not necessary.

The mass is in the worst place also. These weight about 18 lbs each! They are NOT speed rated for what our cars do...I haven't seen anyone tear one up, though, I surely wouldn't want to be the first.

With a drag runner such as a moroso DS-2, rolling resisitance is lessened from tire crowning. Deceleration is improved as your tire footprint is LARGER for more surface area. Since most of your stopping power is derrived from the front rotors, without the tire surface area to stop you, skidding WILL occur easier with a VW tire. Obviously not a good thing. The drags only weigh about 12 lbs each also which is substantually lighter.

In closing, spend the small extra on the right tires, do it once, do it right:-)

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 07-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Restricted User

I run 195/65 - 15 on the Grandpa car and it looks pretty nasty even with the smallish 255/60-15 BFG on the back of it. It gives good stopping, adequate cornering and goes up to 120mph pretty good as far as stability goes. HTH...