Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tell Me This Is Normal!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell Me This Is Normal!!!!!!!!

I read the post earlier about the guy with 4.10s and Im thankful that im not going through that and I wish him the best-Honestly! I went from a 3.42 to a 4.10 last week and everything is great they amke no noise at all unless Im at like 65 or up and when Im crusiing at that speed and just lightly touch the pedal and it could be mistaken for the new tires noise to most people(I know every noise my truck makes!LOL!) its not that bad at all and with the stereo even 1/4 up you cant hear it and if I hear it and then accelerate to a higher rpm/mph it goes away! Is this just part of having the 4.10's or will it get worse? I had a professional do the install on the Strange gears! Thanks for the help guys!
PS-They knocked off 4.2 tenths of my 1/4 mile in 90 degree 60% humidity weather!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind/brand of gears?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:03 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

read the post, then ask questions.

On acceleration, the gears contact each other differently than on deceleration. While ideally, both accel and decel would both be silent, yes it's normal to have a discernible noise difference between the two situations. Your install sounds pretty darn good to me.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmd
read the post, then ask questions.

On acceleration, the gears contact each other differently than on deceleration. While ideally, both accel and decel would both be silent, yes it's normal to have a discernible noise difference between the two situations. Your install sounds pretty darn good to me.
My speed reading failed me. you win. Strange gears from what I have seen can make nise at times. If you are getting that minimal noise i would say you are in good shape.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is normal

you told us to tell you...
Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot guys! Yeah I had a great installer! I went from a 3.42 to a 4.10 on my extended cab 4.8 and lets just I am very pleased and consider this my 2nd best mod. I never tow and never will but if I tried when I had the 3.42's even with the power Ive added it would have fell on its face! I love the way I take off and can punch it from a roll at damn near any mph and it digs deep! I actualy got better mileage with these gears even though for about half a tank I took it somewhat easy so I dont think I will loose on the mileage side of things!Thanks again for the help guys!