Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with header install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:40 PM
LSK
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question problem with header install

I have an 98 corvette. We were putting on headers. When we took the #7 exhaust manifold screw off it started to **** water/antifreeze. Can we put silicone on the screw and install my headers?

I would think it's safe since the old small block chevys the knock sensor ran into a water jacket.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not right, you may have some trouble inside the head. I would check that out before installing the new headers. Does the car run ok? Might as well check it out now while you are half way to pulling the head and save some headaches and money.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you have MAJOR problems.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Sounds like you have MAJOR problems.
Can you guys explain or be a little more specific the major problems your talking about.

This is what happens when you run the screw all the way thru without the header flange or a longer screw it is so close to the water jacket when you do this it goes thru to the water jacket,if the car runs good just silicone the screw and it should be fine,most chevys and some old chryslers have screws going into water jackets.
Heck half the screws in my LT5 run thru water and oil nothing a little teflon or silicone can't fix no leaks yet.

Last edited by LT5Pete; 07-21-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you may have cracked something, that is not right. How bad was it coming out? Might have to pull the head.
-Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others. You shouldn't have any fluid coming out of a header bolt hole.

Have the heads been ported?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT5Pete
Can you guys explain or be a little more specific the major problems your talking about.

This is what happens when you run the screw all the way thru without the header flange or a longer screw it is so close to the water jacket when you do this it goes thru to the water jacket,if the car runs good just silicone the screw and it should be fine,most chevys and some old chryslers have screws going into water jackets.
Heck half the screws in my LT5 run thru water and oil nothing a little teflon or silicone can't fix no leaks yet.

A coolant leak coming from inside the head is a disaster waiting to happen. If the coolant happens to seap out it could start pouring water into the exhaust and really rust and screw things up. Not to mention if the head is cracked that is an even bigger problem.

The LS1 is not designed to have the manifold bolts going through a water jacket or an oil passageway.

There is no reason to thread a header bolt all the way into the head w/o a manifold/header on it.

Sure you might get by with putting goup or some other sealant all over it to stop it from leaking but I come from the school of fixing the problem right..and there is obviously a problem if coolant is leaking out a header bolt hole.