Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 26 Mile Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 26 Mile Problem

OK here is the deal I Bought a 1998 C5 with a solid roller cam 408, GTP did the heads. But it will not run more than about 26 miles good. Then the tune falls apart MTI tune it then it went to Speed Demons that was before I bought it and it went at least one other place. Well Know I have it and It would not run after 26 miles so I sent it to Flp they tuned it said the tune that was on it was bad, way off, Speed Demons said MTI was BAD way off. Flp said that there was coolant smell and there was a head gasket leak so I got the car back and the heads came off and one new valve, 16 guide and one T&D Rocker later the heads were back on. HardCoremotor sports said it sounded great they test drove it for 20 miles and said it was OK to go even though they did not tune it. So you guessed it I got 6 miles to work shut it off after work started it to drive home and it was only running on 4 Cylinders not all an the same side the tech11 said all Injectors are firing and all plugs just not at the right time. It already got a new computer any great Ideas out there I’m lost and would like to get it running
Ps Im not trying to Bash any one just telling the story so I can get some help
Old 07-21-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry. You sound fucked. Wish I could help!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Look for burnt or heat damadged wires. Especially anything near the headers.

Brad
Old 07-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Restricted User

Are you still using the stock PCM? What are you using for a MAF? Have you checked for bad grounds? Fuel pressure? There are a few basic checks to move forward. A bad tune and the basic info. you gave doesn't help lead to any advice. I'd like to try and help but its such a generalized statement...sorry.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Are you still using the stock PCM? What are you using for a MAF? Have you checked for bad grounds? Fuel pressure? There are a few basic checks to move forward. A bad tune and the basic info. you gave doesn't help lead to any advice. I'd like to try and help but its such a generalized statement...sorry.
I will answer the questions that I can. it is a stock PCM with ls1 edit, It is the back 4 cylinders that are not working, it has a granitelli MAF. I know that they Check the fuel presure and tomarrow Hard core motor sports is going to check for ground problem and replace the wiring harness
Thanks for any help I am trying to move forward
Old 07-21-2004, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck man! I know it is a bitch to figure these things out sometimes. Hope it doesnt cause you anymore greif!

Brad
Old 07-21-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is that a maroon coupe (ie. not like a Z06 roof, the regular one), roll cage, tan interior car? If its the car I'm thinking of, there's some serious gremlins in it. I've driven that car, and took some scan data from it, not sure if it was before or after MTI and Speed Demon saw it..
Old 07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brains
Is that a maroon coupe (ie. not like a Z06 roof, the regular one), roll cage, tan interior car? If its the car I'm thinking of, there's some serious gremlins in it. I've driven that car, and took some scan data from it, not sure if it was before or after MTI and Speed Demon saw it..
It could be the same car it is and 1998 only off red with red cage and tan interior and it dose have serious gremlins
Old 07-21-2004, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

brian
PS before or after it still has them
Old 07-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say to start with the basics, logging and
check ECT, fans, transition to closed-loop, etc.
Arbitrary mileage is probably not the key; maybe
like, that's just where you get off the Interstate
and back onto surface streets, etc.

Log: ECT, IAT, KR, spark advance, CylAir, %TPS,
RPM, MPH, InjPW, stuff like that.

Some key fuel and spark tables depend on ECT,
start with the simple and make sure it's solid,
just have to knock them down one by one.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks I will keep you informed on the progress I know Hcms has not tryed any tuning (ls1 edIt) on it yet. Because it ran good then Bad all with turning off the key so they dont think its the tune yet looking for something that when bad or pinch wire or bad ground
Old 07-22-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its definitely NOT all tune related -- and I'm nearly 100% sure that's the same car... I still have an LS1Edit file in my archive at home, I could pull the VIN to match up and be certain. Anyway ... When I drove it, the throttle had to be open 14% for it to even idle at 900.. Something is/was very wrong with that car.. It made virtually NO power until over 4500 RPM, and even then it felt about as fast as a cam-only car. The data I logged (not sure if I still have that) showed all kinds of strange results...

FWIW I *DID* get to drive it past a sheriff directing traffic -- and the car was running open headers.. He kinda looked at me funny
Old 07-22-2004, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

[/QUOTE]
FWIW I *DID* get to drive it past a sheriff directing traffic -- and the car was running open headers.. He kinda looked at me funny [/QUOTE]tHIS

CAR IS TO LOAD WITH FULL EXOST ON IT i CAN'T BELEAVE IT

It could be the same car no doubt, did you know the owner? And did it have the FLP headers system on it. It seems like a lot of $$, time and effort has went into his car for it to run this Bad