Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Whine, went away (mostly)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Rear End Whine, went away (mostly)?

Here is my question, I went to the track last year late october and after a mis-shift ( from 3 to 4, going to 2nd instead) after this pass I started noticing that the rear end was whining to a point that it was noticeable with the radio on. I figured I would continue driving normally and get it looked at under warranty before the warranty runs out. I went to the track again early spring april and after ran a few mid 13 sec. passed and on the way back home realized that the whine was almost gone, or rather back to stock sound levels. Is it possible that during the stresses of a mis-shift the rear end case flexed enough fo the gears to get mis align slighly and cause them to whine?

I took the car to the dealer and, though the whine is not very noticeble at all, they agreed to replace the ring and pinion. At that time I'll make sure the inspect everything else inside the rear.

By the way car was completely stock.

( Hopefully the gears will give me a bit more time to save for that 12bolt )
Old 07-25-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds possible but I'm no authority... I'd just be glad that the whine went away, however it happened.