Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMR Makes 3" Over-the-Axle Duals Possible!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BMR Makes 3" Over-the-Axle Duals Possible!!!

I just saw this on the BMR site. They have made an upper panhard bar relocation kit with they claim will allow enough room to clear 3" duals. Anyone have this thing yet? Here is a like and some quick pics. I hope this isnt a repost

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...tm#panhardrods

Old 07-23-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT, that thing has been around for a while but I've never heard of someone using it.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm... that's funny - their differential is leaking just like my stocker
Old 07-23-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Am I the only one that notices that the pic is definately not two 3" pipes over the axle? Did they never test their claim? Retarded.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

ditto... is it just me, or is that a 2" single-outlet stocker?
Old 07-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Maybe I'm not thinking in my "Structurally Sound" area, but why don't they have a "notch" on the other side of the diff for more of a TRUE dual setup. Just an idea...
Old 07-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Could be possible. But for $200 who wants to be the first to try?

As for a notch on the other side, even if there was I don't think there would be enough room to clear, since the upper support sits in a diaganol position. You would still have to route each pipe on the one side it appears.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

What a lame *** photo!! It doesnt even look like a V8 setup, let alone a 3" True Dual! Geez....

I just did 3" all the way out the back. I just removed the upper brace because I read from at least 4 people that responded to an older thread that they have been running without it successfully for a while.

I was considering that brace but 2 things stopped me from getting it. I called some folks selling it and NOBODY has tried it yet! I didnt want to be the first. Then I read you could go without it so..... no brace for me. I havent noticed a difference without it.

Even without the upper brace in place, my fabricator had to move the lower panhard rod down to make room for the pipe coming through there. He fabricated a little bracket and welded it on. Then he had to go through the process of re-adjusting the rod to center the rear. Very important for me cause I'm lowered AND I've got 315's out back. He said it was kind of a pain in the ***. Seems OK though cause I havent rubbed.

He also used header wrap in several spots cause the pipe comes close to vitals such as fuel and brake lines and the gas tank. GM never intended a big *** pipe to be run over that side.

My only REAL problem is clearance. I'm lowered with a ProKit. There is very little room between the top of the axle tube and bottom of the pipe. In just the one day since I've had the car back I bottomed 3 times. Not hard, but enough to put a mark on the pipe (a brown spot from rust on the axle tube). So that whole lack of clearance is acting like a bump stop. It gets in the way of suspension travel. I mean it's not horrible. More like annoying. It must be similar to the way a car feels when it's slammed. Not much travel.... hitting the bump stops early.

Choices.... do the "hose mod" on the coil springs to gain a little room? Put the stock rear springs back in? I don't know.

Not sure if I'm gonna end up keeping the 3" pipes over the axle. I may go back to dumped.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen that brace before and thought about how crappy it is but something just occured to me. I think that they designed for dual 3" pipes (both) over the passanger side, rather than one over each side. I'm still not buying it but that might be the idea here.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wonder if you can fit a 4 in or 5 in pipe over the rear that way you can have dual pipes run to the back then merge into a 4in single and run over the axel then split back in to dual 3in.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

4" single can go over, like the Mufflex cat-back. But I dont think that flows as well as two 3" pipes.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, and anyone know what the upper PHR does? From the pic, it looks to be completely uselss, nothing but a crossbrace. Probably something somnone can fab up on their own.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as far as I know, that upper brace is about as usefull as that stamped tunnel brace everyone takes off.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The upper bar reinforces that bracket where the lower bar is attached.

Lateral movement, i.e. cornering, puts a load on that bracket. IMO if you do any kind of road racing I would keep that bar there.

I removed it for awhile but heard funny noises from the chassis going over bumps, so I just put it back. Only weighs in at a couple pounds anyways.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The BMR peice is definately to run the duals over the pass side. I still wonder if 3" duals would fit, looks tight. If it were for duals over each side they would have left the pass side alone and lowered the drivers side since the pass side already has enough clearance for a 4" pipe stock.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a few years back on the "other" LS1 board, Eric (wizkid) of Install University was testing this piece out on his car when BMR was designing it. Haven't heard anything else about it though.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend Jay just put it on his car, and will be taking it to the exhaust shop in about a week once we get it running right. I'll get picks up ASAP