Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the best compression for a max effort n2o motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the best compression for a max effort n2o motor?

I'm currently replacing my 355 with a 6" rod 383 with gas ported JE pistons and I wanted some opinions about what you guys are running as far as compression ratios for a purpose built nitrous motor (ie hitting this sumbitch with a 300 shot) and still practically drive on the street.... I live in california so 91 octane is what's at the pump but i'm willing to have to mix gas if I have to or turn the timing waaaay down on a street tune (I have DFI so that's not that hard).....

My current 355 was running 11.75:1 compression with SRP flattops and the motor made very good hp on both motor (422 to the wheels on motor with a T56) and nitrous (525/597 at wheels on a TNT 150 shot with TH400)...

I was thinking that around 12.5:1 would be a max figure if I wanted to drive it on the street at all but I'm wondering if i require that much compression if i plan on running a large dose of jug.... Thanks....
Old 07-24-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "m building a stroker just for racing and I "ve been told by more then one not to go over 12 to 1 as you have to take out too much timing to stop detonation with the NO.I"ve also been told NO loves compression,if you are driving on the street alot mixing gas will get old fast I would think??