Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s about wideband o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s about wideband o2 sensors

I would like to run one in my car and was wondering which one you guys recommend. I saw one that looked pretty good by FJO it was 465.00 for the controller and a green led display plus 183.00 for the actual sensor for a total of 648.00. It seems kinda pricey but I know when it comes to something as important as a wideband o2 sensor kit you don't want to go cheap. I just want to make sure it is actually worth the money to spend the extra cash, because I found one by plx devices that is 329.00 with the sensor, harness, and led display. Please help. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris's ws6
I would like to run one in my car and was wondering which one you guys recommend. I saw one that looked pretty good by FJO it was 465.00 for the controller and a green led display plus 183.00 for the actual sensor for a total of 648.00. It seems kinda pricey but I know when it comes to something as important as a wideband o2 sensor kit you don't want to go cheap. I just want to make sure it is actually worth the money to spend the extra cash, because I found one by plx devices that is 329.00 with the sensor, harness, and led display. Please help. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi Chris
I have the innovation LM-1 WB O2 sensor - it cost about $320 with shipping from Turbometrics. I am in the process of getting the bung welded on my headers but what I have seen and read, this one is not too bad. I plan to use it for tuning only and pull it out - they supplied a screw in plug. So going the extra mile is not worth it for me. I would look at them all and do a good comparison because they are not all the same. If the unit can log RPM without a special unit, buy that one.
Bill
Old 07-25-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris's ws6

Checked out the plx site. The $329 model does not data log.

The plx with data logging and ntk sensor and display is $654. Which is about the same price as the FJO. The units that use the bosch sensor will be a lot cheaper. The innovative unit that was the big thing last year uses the bosch sensor.

The bosch sensor is a lot cheaper because in reality its a just a linear narrow band sensor that is accurate enough to be used as a wideband sensor in automotive applications.

All that being said its hard to say what to use. I use the FJO (which at the time I bought it was more than $900). The PLX definetly has some nice features. I would not get anything that still uses the NTK sensor, its harder to get, so that eliminates the FJO.

Gary
Old 07-25-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

The Bosch sensor is no more of a "narrow band" than the NTK. The reason NTK sensors are expensive is because they fixed the price a few years back. They used to be very cheap.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
The Bosch sensor is no more of a "narrow band" than the NTK. The reason NTK sensors are expensive is because they fixed the price a few years back. They used to be very cheap.

You are correct, The NTK is a more "expensive" sensor vs the Bosch LM7057. Very few companies recommend the NTK anymore as they are harder to get and not worth the price difference. If anyone is interested in knowing the pinouts or how the wideband sensors operate you can get some detailed info here.

http://wbo2.com/lsu/default.htm
or NTK Info
http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/wbntk.htm
Old 07-25-2004, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go with the plx. The sensors are pretty much the same as you guys said, there really just is no justification for the price difference. The plx with data logging is only 469.00 from horsepowerfreaks.com. Thanks guys for all the help.