Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI sent us the wrong cam??? Please MTI respond!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Angry MTI sent us the wrong cam???

Both 2xLS1 and myself have the wrong cam

We both got a 224/221 .576/.581 116+4 lsa instead of a 224/220, .576/.581 116 lsa

which means we didn't get a true STEALTH II cam but a similar grind

I know both Jayson and Dave at MTI are aware of this situation and I'm still awaiting a reply or contact about this mess up.
I hope they sort this out !!
2xLS1 and I have compared cam cards and they are I dentical.
The stealth cam is supposed to be straight up 0* with no advance.

Could you please chime in as to what will be the effect of this duration and advance difference on the performance of that cam?/
I have an idea but I would like more input from the cam gurus.

Thanks

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 07-26-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a cam come out 1 degrees too much or to less isn't that uncommon. Alot of times you might see like a 242/248 come out like 242.9, or 243.1, etc.

However, the advance is a different story. My guess is that it comes ground with 4 degrees anyway. Alot of places seem to neglect to put that in their description.

Good Luck,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 07-26-2004 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:12 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I don't think there is going to be much difference at all. Although I am not a major cam guy, but just going off of what I've seen I would hardly bet you would see a power difference and I am sure that it will still sound real stockish.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Question

PZ, I can't help you with your dilemma, but I was hoping you could clear something up for me.

What is a +4 cam, as in 116+4 LSA? Do these cams need to be set up differently, with the timing?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Predator
PZ, I can't help you with your dilemma, but I was hoping you could clear something up for me.

What is a +4 cam, as in 116+4 LSA? Do these cams need to be set up differently, with the timing?
When a cam says 112+2 or 112+4 lsa it means that it has 2* or 4* degrees advance in the cam grind. On installation dot to dot it will have 2* or 4* advance.

Effects of that to my knowledge: 4* advance
1- The cam will peak at around 200 rpm sooner
2- By peaking earlier it will also fall off the powerband sooner
3- Particular to my cam that is a 116 lsa it will have a rougher idle (Lope) therefore negating some of it's Stealth features.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it is advanced timing ground into the cam...i'm not quite sure what is for and why people do that though...im sure someone else would chime in...jrp seems to know quite a bit
Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

I see, it has timing advance without having to make adjustments yourself. What if you had a 116 LSA cam and advanced timing 4 degrees, yourself, would that be the same thing?

Even with a +4 cam, you still install it the same way, dot-to-dot (if I understand correctly).

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Wait a few hours and get them on the phone. You are in UAE? There is a little bit of a time difference bud. Your emails will probably go unanswered on the weekend as well. I am on the east coast and it is 8:40 in the morning. MTI is in Texas so they are not even open yet.

Brad
Old 07-26-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by distortion_69
Having a cam come out 1 degrees too much or to less isn't that uncommon. Alot of times you might see like a 242/248 come out like 242.9, or 243.1, etc.
Yes i know about that

However, the advance is a different story. My guess is that it comes ground with 4 degrees anyway. Alot of places seem to neglect to put that in their description.

Good Luck,
Josh
The advance thing has an effect on the powerband of the cam. The Stealth is advertised on their site as 0* advance which in combinasion with an agressive lobe gives the cam the ability to peak later and carry the power band higher in the rpm while keeping it Stealthy (almost stock sounding at idle).
So basically like i said advancing that cam will negate some of it's 116 lsa capabilities. (making it react more like a 115 lsa)
Old 07-26-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
Wait a few hours and get them on the phone. You are in UAE? There is a little bit of a time difference bud. Your emails will probably go unanswered on the weekend as well. I am on the east coast and it is 8:40 in the morning. MTI is in Texas so they are not even open yet.

Brad
Yeap I know I'm from Houston myself. Just work in UAE.

I just wanted everyone that bought this cam on this forum to know about the SNAFU. 2xLS1 couldn't figure out why his cam wasn't achieving the numbers he was told it would.
MTI is really stand up and I'm sure we will come to a compromise. Luckily I picked this up before install (read all fine prints, learned that from my divorce )
Nevertheless I am a bit dissapointed, but that will pass.
One problem is to change the cam, due to the distance between here and TX. It will cost MTI as much as the cam in shipping charges alone.
Like I said we will come to a compromise as soon as I fully understand how this will affect my package.
I have great faith in MTI customer service.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to clear things up a little. I don't have this cam. I installed a MTI Stealth2 in a customers car. Initially he was disapointed in his dyno #s because of some MTI hype telling him what his dyno #s should be with his heads cam combo. The customer is happy with the way his car runs and performs. I don't think the 4* advance is affecting his peak #s at all.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check the ICL on the cam card. If it says 112ICL, then its 4* advanced. Different cam companies report this differently. "Technically" its not referred to as advance, but instead intake centerline.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:28 AM
10 Second Club

His cam card says it is on a 112 ICL with 4* ground in for a 116 LSA. It is supposed to be a 116 ICL straight up, no advance ground in for a 116 LSA. I would think it will change your power band and your VE. I would want the cam I was expecting to get on the 116 ICL (just like the Colonels).

Dan
Old 07-26-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

From what I understand so far:

-The cam will peak earlier around 5700 instead of 5900.
-My shifts will have to be at 6500 instead of 6700 or so.
-It will definately have a choppier idle
- I may loose ~10rwhp at peak with gains down low.

Now tricky question:
If I were to install this cam with an adjustable timing chain and retard the cam by 4* will that set everything right or is that a F*#* up way to fix things??
Would that have any adverse effects on the cam and its performance?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retard it 4 degrees and it'll be right. There's nothing wrong with doing that. It'll be exactly the same as if it came straight up.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good, I was hoping this would be a cure. I want to experience my cam as close to the real Stealth as i can get.
Now we are getting somewhere.
As usual, a big thanks to you Colonel and all the others you chimed in so far.
Time to work out a deal with MTI (A free adjustable T-chain perhaps? )
Old 07-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Badass pool player

Just got off the phone with Lunati and the last batch of Stealth I and Stealth II cams (7 cams total) that we received from them were cut incorrectly. Three have been sent out and I still have four here in house. They were cut with +4 advance versus the 0 advance that we specify on all our Stealth I and Stealth II camshafts.

We were not aware of this problem until the members of LS1Tech brought it to our attention by looking closely at their cam cards and for that I'd like to extend my sincere appreciation and also apologize for the mistake.

These have been sent back to Lunati this morning and replacement cams are on the way to us.

Predator-Z: If you'd like to keep the cam that you have and install it as Colonel suggested, please e-mail me and let me know and we can work out the details.

If you'd like me to send you the corrected grind, I'm more than happy to and the shipping to you will be taken care of as will the return shipping on the other cam - just let me know and I'll get it handled.

2xLs1 - Same offer of course. Please let me know which way you'd like to go and I'll work with you to ensure your complete satisfaction.

Unfortunately in business, errors do occur and I'd like to apologize again for this mistake. It certainly wasn't intentional and now that we're aware of it, we're going to make it right and stand behind our product - no questions asked as that's the only way to handle it.

Please call or e-mail me directly davidc@motorsporttech.com if you have any questions or concerns and I'll get back to you asap.

We greatly appreciate the support of this forum and its members and appreciate you making us aware of the above and giving us the opportunity to correct this and demonstrate our comittment to your complete satisfaction.

Sincerely,

David Coates
MTI
Old 07-26-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

now that's some good service
Old 07-26-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KGSloan
now that's some good service
They have always been like that. I never had a doubt. We are working on a deal right now. I offered for them to send me a free adjustable T-chain and we call it square.
that would fix my problem.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just install an offset bushing in the cam gear to retard it 4*. Will cost you all of $4 or so.

Quick Reply: MTI sent us the wrong cam??? Please MTI respond!!