Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, old idea mount for your AMW catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New, old idea mount for your AMW catch can.

With permission from Tony I will post another bracket idea, you can make it yourself or I can make one for you. The bracket is made out of 1 1/2" X 1/4" 6061 aluminum, this is something you might find at a welding shop or a steel supply store. I use #10 machine screws to hold the AMW bracket onto the bracket I have made, there's a 3/16 sping pin ( roll pin ) pressed into the bracket that rest on the top edge of the valve cover. For the 10mm bolt hole I used a 10.5mm drill bit, I'll post a few more pics in a minute.

If you want me to make one for you the cost will be $19 for an unpolished or $25 for a polished bracket, the price includes all mounting hardware and U.S Priority mail shipping ( in the U.S only ).

I can make it with or without what I call an apperance hole, here's a pic of the two types ( this pic show them unpolished ).

Thanks again Tony for allowing me to post this thread.

Al
Old 07-26-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spring pin.

AMW bracket mounted onto my bracket.

Last edited by DARK AGE 53; 07-26-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Another good looking setup Al. You ever get the pic of my install?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, This is a very basic bracket with the addition of the spring pin, it is also a little more affordable for many guys/gals.

The computer I'm now using won't allow me to few your setup, try sending it to me again.

Regards,
Al
Old 07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not a very good picture but if you want to make your own this might help.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Hey Al nice work !Can this be made out of stainless steel? Why Aluminum weight or cost? I would be interested in distributing in Canada. Would you consider sending me a dozen on consignment? I'm sure I can move them.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nite hawk
Hey Al nice work !Can this be made out of stainless steel? Why Aluminum weight or cost? I would be interested in distributing in Canada. Would you consider sending me a dozen on consignment? I'm sure I can move them.
nite hawk,
Stainless steel would work fine, not sure about the cost but drilling and cutting stainless is a pain. I'm not in business to sell these but just to show guys/gals what can be done, I make a few for those don't have the time or tools to make there own. Thanks for the offer but I'm not interested in sending a dozen ( or even one ) on consignment, feel free to use my design if you want.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dark Age 53, ever thought of making a bracket like this that goes around the EGR? I bet alot of us guys with 98-00 would be interested. A bracket like that with a 90* bend at the end near the fender would allow for the catch can to be mounted in the same place. The bracket would bolt up on top or below the EGR mount to the head. Just a thought and congratulations on your design.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddelallata
Dark Age 53, ever thought of making a bracket like this that goes around the EGR? I bet alot of us guys with 98-00 would be interested. A bracket like that with a 90* bend at the end near the fender would allow for the catch can to be mounted in the same place. The bracket would bolt up on top or below the EGR mount to the head. Just a thought and congratulations on your design.
David,
I'll let someone else come up with a bracket for the EGR people, this bracket requires no welding to make so that's why I doing this now. In the past I made a bracket that required the welding of two aluminum pieces, I can weld steel but not aluminum so I needed a welding shop to do the tig welding for me. I hope someone comes up with a bracket for you guys, thanks.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
nite hawk,
Stainless steel would work fine, not sure about the cost but drilling and cutting stainless is a pain. I'm not in business to sell these but just to show guys/gals what can be done, I make a few for those don't have the time or tools to make there own. Thanks for the offer but I'm not interested in sending a dozen ( or even one ) on consignment, feel free to use my design if you want.
Hey Darkage I will be traveling thro Michigan next week and was wondering just where your located. I would like you to sign my lawyers paper work stating the free use of your design. I know the Canadian market place will eat this up reaping me one huge winfall of money. Trusting your co-operation I will make it worth your while.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the deal with the "appearance hole"?

Also, any pics of the can installed with the bracket?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
What's the deal with the "appearance hole"?

Also, any pics of the can installed with the bracket?
I just like the looks with the appearance hole, I can make them either way. Here's a picture of the bracket and catch can installed.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:57 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I just like the looks with the appearance hole, I can make them either way. Here's a picture of the bracket and catch can installed.
Ok, I just wasn't sure if there was any use for the hole.

I have a friend with a machine shop that could zip these out, but I think it'd just be easier to get one from you since I wouldn't have to hunt down all the hardware.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Ok, but I think it'd just be easier to get one from you since I wouldn't have to hunt down all the hardware.
PM or e-mail me if you decide you want one, thanks.
Al
Old 08-01-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

I thought I would mention that Dark Age is a great seller. We bought two of his older style brackets a few weeks ago, GREAT quality and he was really quick to ship it out to us. Thanks again Al.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words Becky, I'm glad you liked the brackets.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Thanks for the kind words Becky, I'm glad you liked the brackets.
I just wanted to say I haven't got around to the post office yet... i'm working on it though!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Al, you crack me up man....you previous ideas seemed pretty darn good, this is the 3rd version that I've seen! I've got a 4' x 4' piece of aluminum in my living as I prepare to mount my catch can with the design you gave me a few months ago....Yes, i still have that high tech template

Scott
Old 08-06-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
I've got a 4' x 4' piece of aluminum
Scott, With that much aluminum you'll be able to make quite a few brackets.

Al
P.S. I haven't heard back from you about the tranny mount install.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on making a few, for some local friends.

About the install....I'll PM you soon, the plans have changed a little bit though. I want to put the stock back in, because I'm eliminating my Y pipe and catback, and going to try TSP's True Duals!...they should be in next tuesday or wednesday. I was going to ask you then, but if we do it, I insist you let me reimburse you somehow because I'll use clamps on the headers, but the other 2 joints will be welded.

I guess I don't need to PM you now huh

Scott