Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Just wanted to share my story

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy Just wanted to share my story

This past fri. I was on my way to race my car at a dragstrip that is at least 120 miles away. I had a set of 15x4 weld draglites in the front & my Z06 wheels in the back just until I got to the track so I could swap them out with my et streets.. I have had the welds on for long periods of time like 2 & 3 weeks straight. I never run over 35psi in them. I was crusing about 60mph on the interstate when I start to get this real bad vibration in the front, the whole car is shaking like crazy. So I could see the next exit coming up & told a buddy of mine that was with me that we need to stop & check the lug nuts. About 200 yards from the exit the vibration stops, I thought maybe it was just the road but to be on the safe side I was going to check them anyway. All of a sudden I hear this loud clunking noise, tiny pieces of debris is flying everywhere, the car starts heading towards the median I steer it back to the right lane to pull off the on the shoulder. I didnt think anything about it, I figured the tire just blew out & rubber was flying everywhere. I get out & I about fall to my knees, the thred came off the tire about 3/4 around. It had keep spinning cutting my fender & front bumper into sherds. There was nothing left but half a front bumper & 1/4 of a fender. All the brackets were badly bent, the fender well was cut into a thousand pieces. The tire still had air in it, I checked the pressure & it was around 48psi. So know i have to buy a new bumper,fender,fender well, brackets, fog light,& emblems all because of a blow out. So its so long. I am so pissed & wanted to warn you who drive or ride long distances on skinnes. Has this ever happend to anyone else?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about the car, but it sure sucks to learn the hard way . . . Sounds like the tire was overinflated . . .
Old 07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it proubaly was. I know when I left my house it only had 32psi in it. im thinking that the heat inflated the tires that high. duno!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

That sucks, atleast nobody was hurt.