Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what was once gone, is back again, could use some help

Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what was once gone, is back again, could use some help

I went back to a y pipe catback set up last week. With a pacesetter y pipe i knew i would have to plan out how i put it on to make it not bang. So i put a hanger on the drivers side pipe at the back, and then i used a metal bracket i got from home depot so i can reach the stock location hanger for the passenger side.

Well i needed some new exhaust brackets installed for my catback so it would be a little more solid. And now when i got my car, there is a horrid vibration just above 2k rpms and partial throttle. When i get on the gas, it goes away...

I did notice, the mechanic used the bracket on the drivers side (comes on the pacesetter headers) and hooked that onto on eof the bolts that is on the drivers side heat sheild. I was thinking it could be there cause there is about a pinky space between every part of the pipe and the floor board. and its not banging, its vibrating...i mean enough that it shakes up my nuts and ****. could all this vibration come from just the one bracket on the heat sheild bolt? or are there other areas that can cause this such as the catback?

any ideas or comments...tips tricks anythign will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Travis
Old 07-27-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't want a bracket on your y-pipe, except for the one that is attached to the transmission. The engine's connected to the headers, and the headers to the y so you don't want to connect the y to the body. I've got a drivers side poly motor mount, and a lot of people have had success with heater hose where the y-pipe bangs. I've even heard of people welding a valvespring to the y where it bangs.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

this time its not banging, just a HORRIFIC vibration. its worse than when i had my true duals dumped and i was caught at 1/4 throttle going up a hill at 1800 rpms with bullet mufflers. you can hear teh vibration even outside of the car. My only guess is the bracket on the drivers side that is connected to the heat sheild bolt. I have a feeling that my friend who did the work at his shop attached it so he could line it up cause he had to do the thing on his own and it was at 9pm after he had worked since 6am. probably just a brain fart to take it off. Ill try removing that tomorrow to see if it helps. I had a slight bang when going up the hill to my house when i was turning. i think the body must flex just enough to get the y pipe to bang on turns such as that. Im thinking maybe sfc might help resolve that issue as it hasn't happened often and only on a turn...

thanks for the post
Travis
Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

sure was the bracket attached to the heat sheild. vibration is gone, i ahve a slight bang when i get on eit now, but i think some heater hose will work, plus i got a **** load of it. maybe i should just put this crap all over the place under there lol.

T

Search this Thread