Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Got to drive a 2005 STS :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got to drive a 2005 STS :)

We got one today with a michigan plate on it in the green color, fully loaded, its here at our dealership for a ride and drive, even though our GM sent out over 3,000 mailers saying that it can be test drove, it cant.....uh oh

All I can say is this car is BADASS......interior, exterior, it has a audio/video plug in in the center console for PS2 or whatever you desire

Looks like a 5 series BMW, crossed with a CTS.......
Old 07-27-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't know.

I'm slightly let down by the looks personally, for a new Cadillac it almost looks bland... too softened. Not enough edge. Not enough distinction. A new Caddy with reduced swagger and personality. Too sterlized. And the interior didn't take enough notes off Audis, and reuses that odd steering wheel that doesn't go with anything else inside.

I'm also concerned how the performance and comfort will fare against say, the 300C. Sure the STS comes with a lot more features, but how much of it do you really need, and is it really worth $40k base? And I'm not sure a 320HP Northstar is going to have the guts to keep up with the 340HP Hemi, not to mention the 420HP Hemi coming later.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dig it - this is the big bold Cadillac we need.
The art and science design looks much better on a longer lower car like teh STS and the XLR. While I like the CTS too, it seems too short and tall from some angles. The STS looks great from every angle I've seen.

And quite the in your face add campaign to go with it - "Sharp Elbows for a Crowded Room . . . Consider the party crashed!" "Cadillac: the best and most prestigious of its kind"
Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm, I like the STS dimensions better than the STS, and the side profile is downright sharp IMOHO. But the face looks a little too soft for me... maybe because of the chrome bezels around the headlights instead of more techno plastic ones like in the CTS. Can't wait to see whats in store for the STS-V. I think CTS-V styling ques on the STS is what that car needs.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriShield
I don't know.

I'm slightly let down by the looks personally, for a new Cadillac it almost looks bland... too softened. Not enough edge. Not enough distinction. A new Caddy with reduced swagger and personality. Too sterlized. And the interior didn't take enough notes off Audis, and reuses that odd steering wheel that doesn't go with anything else inside.

I'm also concerned how the performance and comfort will fare against say, the 300C. Sure the STS comes with a lot more features, but how much of it do you really need, and is it really worth $40k base? And I'm not sure a 320HP Northstar is going to have the guts to keep up with the 340HP Hemi, not to mention the 420HP Hemi coming later.
That's why the STS-V is undergoing testing at the Ring.

I do kinda wish that Caddy did something with the rear end though. I would have liked to have seen a variation of the tailights that separates it more greatly from the CTS. Perhaps a horizontal or slanted setup.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
I don't know.

in one of the magazines, i saw the 300C run a 14.7 in the 1/4, I have no doubt the Northstar V8 will keep up with that. ...maybe if chrysler can build a decent transmission some day, then cadillac will have to look out. Same thing happened with the 300M, supposed to have 240 or 260 hp and it ran a 16+ second 1/4 mile
Old 08-11-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Drivn2Fast
in one of the magazines, i saw the 300C run a 14.7 in the 1/4, I have no doubt the Northstar V8 will keep up with that. ...maybe if chrysler can build a decent transmission some day
Like every car ever made, 300Cs vary on performance. Car and Driver's 300C went 13.9 sec @ 102 mph in the quarter mile. You might also want to note the car has a fantastic five-speed transmission from the Mercedes E-Class, as good if not better than the automatics GM uses.

The Northstar is a decent engine, but stock for stock it's typically not going to keep up with the new Hemi. It doesn't have the the torque, torque range, and hardly any low end grunt. It starts waking up as the revs climb. How do I know? I own one.

Chrysler is going to release a 300 NeonNeonNeon-8 about a year from now, with a 6.1L Hemi rumored to be around 420HP. It will probably undercut the CTS-V and STS-V by thousands in price like the regular C does.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is a neonneonneon?

I know what a Neon is. But this is the 2nd place I have seen "neonneonneon" written. What's the significance of saying it 3 times?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm guessing it's an attempt at bashing the S.R.T.-4 by replacing S.R.T. with NeonNeonNeon so in the case of the 300 S.R.T.-8... well you get the point.

BTW I had to put periods after S R and T because apparently this is some assclown here at ls1tech acting like a 2 year old and replacing S.R.T. with NeonNeonNeon. Yah way to be more mature than those asshats over at S.R.T.Forums. FFS, grow up.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, that is pretty lame. The Neon S.R.T.4 is a pretty bad *** car, it will run 150mph. THey ought to start replacing EVO and WRX with "crapwagon" while they're at it - same thing, rinky dink compact car but it DOES go real fast. They would all be great commuter cars, if you could get one without a rear wing.

Quick Reply: Got to drive a 2005 STS :)