PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Hypertech and LS1 Edit at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 03:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Using Hypertech and LS1 Edit at the same time?

I've been using a Hypertech Power Programmer (fan and shift points/firmness settings only) on my mild bolt on A4 LS1 with some success.
I want to continue using the Hypertech for a while longer until I get real tuning but I will be installing headers and an LS6 intake soon and I also want to delete the codes via LS1 Edit from the shop doing the work.
My question is, can I have some codes/SES lights deleted via LS1 Edit and STILL use my Hypertech for the other desired adjustments?
Will the PCM be able to recognize both provided that they are altering separate parameters?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:56 AM
FormerVendor

That isnt adviseable. I would either use one or the other. Edit isnt that hard to learn and way more robust than that hypershit
Old 07-27-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the shop is willing to delete the codes for cheap, go do it.
I do agree that you should sell the HPP3 and move on to a real programming tool. You'll love having more control over your A4 that comes with Edit or HP Tuners
Old 07-27-2004, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Oh I know/agree that LS1 Edit is WAY better than the Hypercrap (which I already own unfortunately) but I have no plans on buying my own Edit/laptop set up etc.
I would only be having the shop delete codes for DMV inspection reasons (and because I don't want to stare at dash lights constantly ) but still wanted to retain the ability to make my own adjustments at the track without having to rely on anyone else for changes constantly. But if the two won't 'get along' with each other than I can't utilize both at the same time of course.

Maybe I'll just get my headers/intake installed, run the car as is and then get the codes deleted along with the shift points/fan settings all at the same time later on and just sell the HPP.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'm not sure why Humpin thinks it is not advisable; maybe he has seen others with problems. The HPP3 is going to make changes in the pcm to shift tables, rev limiter, and timing. I don't see why using an HPP3 would cause codes that had been turned off to be reflashed to on.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt throw any codes and I Couldnt make any changes either ,but
HPP3 is NOT Compatible with LS1 Edit Tuning,I know this First hand.I had my Car Dyno Tuned for the first time last year and I couldnt even change my shift points on my 99 .I called HyperTech and they told me what I have already learned on my own.So I had tuner change the shift points and sold the HPP3...just my .02
Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting.

I had a shop tuned PCM (not Ed Wrong) a couple years ago and it worked with HPP3 when i changed shift points. Must have been a different software that they used.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Interesting.

I had a shop tuned PCM (not Ed Wrong) a couple years ago and it worked with HPP3 when i changed shift points. Must have been a different software that they used.
Ed Wrong that is Good Ragtop lol ,My car was tuned by AP Engineering one of our sponsers,On a Mustang Dyno with LS1 Edit last July when I was cam only..I tried to adjust my shiftpoints and it just wasnt taking So I call Hypertech and they said it wont work as I found out.I was bumbed out because that ment I couldnt play with shift points at the track without spending 500.00
Old 08-01-2004, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
My car was tuned by AP Engineering one of our sponsers,On a Mustang Dyno with LS1 Edit last July when I was cam only..I tried to adjust my shiftpoints and it just wasnt taking So I call Hypertech and they said it wont work as I found out.I was bumbed out because that ment I couldnt play with shift points at the track without spending 500.00
That's what I was afraid of ...thanks fellas.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
Ed Wrong that is Good Ragtop lol ,My car was tuned by AP Engineering one of our sponsers,On a Mustang Dyno with LS1 Edit last July when I was cam only..I tried to adjust my shiftpoints and it just wasnt taking So I call Hypertech and they said it wont work as I found out.I was bumbed out because that ment I couldnt play with shift points at the track without spending 500.00

Is it possible that the shop locked your PCM via Edit, and therefore prohibiting you access to make any changes ? I've read some threads where shops try to protect their tuning from being stolen, by locking the PCM, so I thought it might be a reason... just a thought
Old 08-02-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt98ls1
Is it possible that the shop locked your PCM via Edit, and therefore prohibiting you access to make any changes ? I've read some threads where shops try to protect their tuning from being stolen, by locking the PCM, so I thought it might be a reason... just a thought
My Tuner doesnt lock pcm's,I wish thats all it would have been
Old 08-02-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wink

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's what I was afraid of ...thanks fellas.
You are welcome,I wish it would work for you but it wont...