PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning on a "load style" dyno vs Dynojet ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning on a "load style" dyno vs Dynojet ?

Hey ,

Were hooking my car up sat to a dynojet dyno with a wide band to tune the air fuel ratio after a cam and exhaust swap. . . how much better is a mustang or dynometer dynamics "real load" dyno for tuning ?? Is tuning on the dynojet pointess ?? Is there anything we have to ignore with the dynojet ??

Also I have cats in place in my kooks Y pipe . . . . does this effect the wide band readings from the tail pipe sniffer ?? Would a 13.5 through cats really indicate a 12.5 or similar ??

Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dynojet vs Mustang

The difference is in the load bearing.On a dynojet your load is initiated at WOT.On a Mustang Dyno you can put a load to represent "crusing" speeds such as on the Highway.Also on a Mustang you usually see lower numbers due to the different type of load application.There is nothing wrong with tuning on a Dynojet.Not saying Mustang Dyno's are bad but look,read and see the number of Dynojets that are being used.As a tuner I always go for a driveability test to assure road manners,this is where the Mustang Dyno shines,you can do the driveability on the Dyno saving time......
Old 07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The load cell dynos are definitely better for tuning than a dynojet...You can actually adjust how fast you want to motor to gain rpm at WOT with a load style, which can be more like real life street conditions. Dynojets have 2500# rollers, which are significantly lighter than your 3500# car. You need to install the sniffer upstream of the cats for an accurate indication of A/F.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info !!

How far skewed will my AF readings be with the cats ??

Quick Reply: Tuning on a "load style" dyno vs Dynojet ?