PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuner cable

Old 07-28-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPTuner cable

Has anyone other than me bought HPtuner and not been able to use it because your laptop doesn't have a serial port? Instead, mine has a monitor port but no serial cable port? I send HPtuner a message about this, they tell me to get an adapter (got back with me VERY fast, I'm VERY impressed), ok, I do that, they specifically tell me not to get a Belkin so I don't. I go down to the local computer builder and pay $50 frickin dollars for this damn adapter, why didn't they just make the cable a USB adapter in the first place? Some puter makers from what I understand are going more to the style that I have. BTW, my laptop is a Compaq 3015 Presario 3000, not an old computer by any means! Now I'm all excited and I hook it up, wouldn't ya know, it says that the cable isn't recognized! This sucks! They did specify Keyspan USB-Serial adapter (part # USA-19HS) but the store didn't have this exact one, is this the ONLY adapter that will work? Man I can't wait to check this thing out, if only it would connect now!
Wolfee
Attached Thumbnails HPTuner cable-p1010001.jpg   HPTuner cable-p1010006.jpg  

Last edited by Wolfee; 07-28-2004 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 07-29-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wolfee
Has anyone other than me bought HPtuner and not been able to use it because your laptop doesn't have a serial port? Instead, mine has a monitor port but no serial cable port? I send HPtuner a message about this, they tell me to get an adapter (got back with me VERY fast, I'm VERY impressed), ok, I do that, they specifically tell me not to get a Belkin so I don't. I go down to the local computer builder and pay $50 frickin dollars for this damn adapter, why didn't they just make the cable a USB adapter in the first place? Some puter makers from what I understand are going more to the style that I have. BTW, my laptop is a Compaq 3015 Presario 3000, not an old computer by any means! Now I'm all excited and I hook it up, wouldn't ya know, it says that the cable isn't recognized! This sucks! They did specify Keyspan USB-Serial adapter (part # USA-19HS) but the store didn't have this exact one, is this the ONLY adapter that will work? Man I can't wait to check this thing out, if only it would connect now!
Wolfee
Hi
I purchased a Radio Shack USB to serial interface adapter and it works - I also purchase a PCMCIA serial adapter and that also worked. Radio Shack should have it the USB adpater.
Bill
Old 07-29-2004, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

you can use a seriual usb adapter...i got one at compusa yesterday. the mfg is keyspan. from what i heard they are a little better than the belkin ones...works fine though...

it maybe tought to find keyspan...you may want to call around. the only ones that compusa wanted to sell were the belkin ones...the keyspan ones were hidden on the other end of the store...
Old 07-29-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

If you look at my pictures that is what I bought, a keyspan I got a message back from Ken at HPTuners and he said that he thought the connection to the car it may be the problem. I'm going to see if I have power to the connector tonight to verify that isn;t the problem. Ken said there are a few other things that I can try also. Guess I'll find out tonight, I'll let ya know when I find the problem, so far, HPTuners tech help is VERY good. They respond very quickly, thanks Ken, Magnuson and all.
Wolfee
Can't wait to actually use this thing
Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem with my Toshiba laptop. I tried 2 differnt kinds and had problems with both. I ended up trading it in on one that had serial port on it.

Wolfee
Old 07-29-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OBDII connector power is cig lighter fuse.

USB is a slow, needy, overburdened resource and
the slow serial nature of the OBDII link makes the
serial port a "natural". Especially on older, slower
laptops like you might be more inclined to leave out
in the garage and beat on. USB needs a special
receiver in the cable to convert from the USB data
stream, to a slower bits-on-time serial for the USB
(just as your adaptor) and that'd be an embedded
cost to everybody.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
OBDII connector power is cig lighter fuse.

USB is a slow, needy, overburdened resource and
the slow serial nature of the OBDII link makes the
serial port a "natural". Especially on older, slower
laptops like you might be more inclined to leave out
in the garage and beat on. USB needs a special
receiver in the cable to convert from the USB data
stream, to a slower bits-on-time serial for the USB
(just as your adaptor) and that'd be an embedded
cost to everybody.
So you feel that it is the fuse also? I figured the plug had to do with the fact that a lot of people use an old nasty computers
Scott
Can't wait to get home to try the fuse
Old 07-29-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Wolfee
Figured out what was wrong, I had a blown fuse. HPTuners is awesome, I love the capabilities.
Wolfee

Search this Thread