Sponsored by:

HI,1 opinion and 2 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default HI,1 opinion and 2 questions...

HI
First let me say that for what Ive seen personally and can only account this for myself. Having the ablility to tune computers/proms hasnt been around for that long a period. This is generally speaking although. There seems to be dyno shops openning up like your common corner store, yet everyone is a profesionnal, everyone has tunned every computer with every available program know to man. Doesnt anyone have the ***** to tell their customers look Ive tuned a thru d but havent gotten around to tune e with x equipment. It seems that they would rather make themselves look good than honest. With that said, on to the questions.

It stands to reason that you should tune the graphs in such a way that at a certain rpm directly coresponds to particular vacum # at constant steady and stable acceleration for eg. @ 5000 rpm stable = 5'' vac, tune that block with the new timming/feul spec. Now does the other sectors above and below block " 5k-rpm=5"vac " increase or decrease in direct proportion again for example if that block was increased by say 5% then would the sectors leading to that block also increase by 5%? thanks again and hope you guys can follow what im saying. Im I correct or not or somewhat?

Now that tunning is becoming more popular are there any companies out there who put on trainning courses?
thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what you're talking about is power enrichment tuning. The PE tables just have a certain target air/fuel ratio that corresponds to a certain rpm. The pcm figures out how much fuel to add by calculating mass air flow from the maf sensor and sometimes the ve tables. These "corner" dyno shops will get your air fuel ratio where they want by messing with the power enrichment tables. That change will affect that rpm band regardless of vacuum since it's based on massflow. Of course this is more complicated for a mafless tune, but i don't think the dyno shops your talking about are gonna mess with going mafless.

People always say get a tune and that will fix all your problems but you really gotta question what these tuners are actually doing. I'm not talking about all the shops, especially the ones who frequent this forum, but a lot of the "corner" dyno shops will not even touch the ve table except maybe for idle. There's a lot of tables that may need tweaking like ve, throttle cracker, etc that need tweaking with a big cam, etc. That's why i'm learning to tune myself, cause i don't trust some random shop to even look at all the tables, let alone get them right.

BTW, there are training courses for like AEM and stuff but i guess that's mostly imports.