Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorty header install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shorty header install

I know, I know, why did you get shortys?
Well I got shortys because I just am not ready for LTs yet. I have an 02 TA with 3000 miles on it(mild mods) and am not ready for all the headaches I read a LT install comes with. Also I drive the car maybe 2000 miles a year and dont race it. It has never seen nor will see bad weather so Im not too worried about the finish.
I am not looking for huge gains but better flow has to be achieved by these headers just looking at the design of the stock manifold. I also like the looks of the nickel coated Edelbrocks I ordered. So if nothing else I will get a little bling out of the deal.
I got them shipped to my door for $404.xx. I didnt think that was too bad.
So my main question is, what is the install like? How long should it take to put these on?
If anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brandon
Old 07-29-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

waste of money, coulda got pacesetter coated for that price, imo i woulda just put the money towards something else, your probably not gonna see any gains really.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

hourang
Thanks for answering absolutely none of my questions.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry just givin my opinion, the install is about as hard as putting in long tubes minus the ypipe.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We put mine on and it took a full day. We had no experience with LS1s before that. Just take off what looks like it needs to come and take your time. Run a search for JBA shorty install, someone on the internet has this up and it will help you in the removal of your manifolds. We didn't follow it completely, but it was a guideline. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

It is going to take just as long as any longtube install would take since you have to go through the same process. You will just be bolting your stock y-pipe back in place as compared to an aftermarket y-pipe with longtubes. I wouldnt expect to see much, if any gains, but at least your engine bay will look better.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Onyx,
Don't let these guys give you a hard time. You have a brand new car and you should enjoy keeping it that way while you can. I can appreciate your concerns about LT's. They are expensive, and can be a hassle getting them to not bang the floor!
It would be interesting to know how your setup dynos before and after the shorty install. Let us know if you feel any sotp difference.
Enjoy,
John
Old 07-29-2004, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Actually, I would like to see some before and after dyno numbers also. Maybe it can quiet the nay sayers around here.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up 10 rwhp with the installation of JBA shorties. I now have mufflex test pipes and an SLP Y pipe and magnaflow catback with a QTEC cutout under the right rear seat and I picked up 20 rwhp with the whole exhaust change with the cutout closed. If I open it it is another 5 rwhp. 25 rwhp not bad for shorties! This was not cheap though and not as much power as a long tube, but I can put my cats on anytime I want and pass any test they can throw at me! JBA=500.00 Mufflex test pipes=240.00 Slp y pipe 200.00 magnaflow catback=300.00 Qtec cutout 170.00= not cheap but just what I wanted. By the way the exhaust was done before the heads and cam!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well since it's certainly not your daily driver why even think about getting shorties. When the time comes for you get long tubes you'll have to go through the same hassles that you went to get the shorties on. If you decide to keep modding it.

For the install get new GM header gaskets, since you don't drive the car much you should be able to reuse your stock headers bolts with no problems.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:33 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 52172
I picked up 10 rwhp with the installation of JBA shorties. I now have mufflex test pipes and an SLP Y pipe and magnaflow catback with a QTEC cutout under the right rear seat and I picked up 20 rwhp with the whole exhaust change with the cutout closed. If I open it it is another 5 rwhp. 25 rwhp not bad for shorties! This was not cheap though and not as much power as a long tube, but I can put my cats on anytime I want and pass any test they can throw at me! JBA=500.00 Mufflex test pipes=240.00 Slp y pipe 200.00 magnaflow catback=300.00 Qtec cutout 170.00= not cheap but just what I wanted. By the way the exhaust was done before the heads and cam!
10rwhp where? at peak, all through the powerband? personally i think he wassted his money but its his car. you i can understand wanting to be be smog legal in cali. but like you said, it wasnt cheap, when you factor rit out your setup cost more then a LT and true dual system. hell, i paid 940 for my jet hots, custom catted Y, o2 extensions, and magnaflow catback. but to each there own, your happy and thats all that counts.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

You should go with MAC mid-lengths. I only went with Hooker shorties because I wanted to stay 100% smog legal (no, I don't want to argue about what is and isn't smog legal right now, we already did that), and because I have a 98. There is a reason they don't make too many shorties for the 02. Because they don't make as much of a difference and everyone would send them back. Stay stock, or get something else.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the replies.
I am still going through with the shorty install. Main reasons being I just dont want the headaches I read about on this forum that come w/LT's. I also dont want any clearance issues because I am in Pittsburgh PA. The roads here suck *** and I am already lowered on BMR springs. As for them costing more than LT's, I dont think so. I got them from Summit for 395.00. A buddy is going to help me, so total cost of install with them shipped to my door - 404 and some change. I will give it a shot and if I dont like them I will put the stockers back on until and if I decide to go with LTs. By the way they are Edelbrock 16 guage steel nickel\chrom. plated. Like someone earlier said if I dont pick up any ponies at least it will look better than the rusty pieces that are on there now.
Oh! and I dont have access to a dyno. If anyone in my area(Pittsburgh) reads this and knows where I can get a dyno done please let me know.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

the chrome ones are alright, they look nice and will discolor some after driving a while, i would strongly advise spraying them down with brake cleaner after the install to remove all your fingerprints, cuz it will discolor that area when the oil burns off, make sure you wipe it down after to get it all off. also want to warn you, they do get a lot hotter than stock manifolds, there will be a lot more engine heat, if the headers are close to the starter i would advise some sort of starter heat shield if they dont already have it. if they were coated they would be fine, but the chrome are sexy good luck.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you would have many clearance problems since you are lowered with BMR springs. There aren't any headaches caused with LTs, just smiles and happiness when you get them on. You won't be scraping with any LTs except for SLP's. All of them tuck up very well and the y-pipe is the problem. Then again if the roads are horribly bad then go with midlengths or shorties. Like i said though, you won't have a lot of problems either way you decide on.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Default Installed

Well the shortys are installed. I must say I like them. I notice a little more low end torque. Seems alot easier to do a burnout anyways. It also felt stronger all the way up to 100mph. I may be going to the track with "orange01ramair" Wed.
The install took about 4hrs and was fairly easy. The one thing I did notice was what sounded like a ticking noise I can hear now. The mechanic who helped me said that it was valvetrain noise and you hear that because of the difference in the thickness of the pipes between the headers and the cast iron manifolds. Is this true? Even if the shortys arent worth all that much hp they must have saved me at least 60lbs up front. I didnt realize how heavy the stockers are. It really cleaned up the engine bay too.
Next I will be installing the Vinci handheld performance upgrade and from what Ive read I should pick up a couple more ponies.
I will post results if I get to the track Wed.
B
Old 08-09-2004, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

shorties are easy to put on I just helped a bud put some on and way easier than the SLP long tubes I have.
If shortys are what you want go for it.Granted you won't get the #'s like LT but you won't get the headacks of the LT tubes also.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onyx_rock
Well the shortys are installed. I must say I like them. I notice a little more low end torque. Seems alot easier to do a burnout anyways. It also felt stronger all the way up to 100mph. I may be going to the track with "orange01ramair" Wed.
The install took about 4hrs and was fairly easy. The one thing I did notice was what sounded like a ticking noise I can hear now. The mechanic who helped me said that it was valvetrain noise and you hear that because of the difference in the thickness of the pipes between the headers and the cast iron manifolds. Is this true? Even if the shortys arent worth all that much hp they must have saved me at least 60lbs up front. I didnt realize how heavy the stockers are. It really cleaned up the engine bay too.
Next I will be installing the Vinci handheld performance upgrade and from what Ive read I should pick up a couple more ponies.
I will post results if I get to the track Wed.
B
no you have an exhaust leak, did you use the stock metal gaskets or the ones that came with the headers? reuse the stock metal ones.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hourang
no you have an exhaust leak, did you use the stock metal gaskets or the ones that came with the headers? reuse the stock metal ones.
I noticed this also and my mechanic told me it was the lifters. I have had exhaust leaks in the past and they are noticeably different sounds, especially to a mechanic. I just planned on changing them when I do my cam & valvetrain swap.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm betting it's not the lifters, it's probably an exhaust leak.

I was the same as you when it came to long tubes. However, I have to say, I've been converted! I had long tubes on a 68 Firebird back in 1970 and I crushed the tubes twice on them. Swore on a bible back in 1970 that I'd never have long tubes again. I was a man of my word until I got my 2001 Z28. I had a 73 Z28, didn't put any headers on it. Had 3 different Porsches after that and they already came with tubular headers. Then my 94 Z28 and I put Mac middies on it and loved them! Got them Jet Hot coated and they look and perform great. Was getting ready to do MACS on my 2001 when I came across Stainless Works headers. They are FANTASTIC!! You can not tell I have headers from the side profile. They use a 2.5" collector and a 2.5" catted Y pipe. I have no rattles, bangs, or clearance issues. The Collectors tuck up tight and Y pipe has stock ground clearance. Plus everything is made from 300 series stainless steel. If you get tired of your shorties, I'd highly recommend the Stainless Works headers. The 2.5" collectors and Y Pipe actually perform better than the 3" up to about 450 hp, then the 3" is better.

Quick Reply: shorty header install